Talk

Advanced search

tracing mother's side of the family

(6 Posts)
SuperFlyHigh Thu 29-Oct-15 12:55:05

My mum is interested and has the time to research her maternal grandmother/grandfather (she knows a lot more about her paternal grandparents due to a relative doing research.

She has checked Census records online for the period her great or great grandfather was around - knows about her maternal grandfather, his surname, where he was born, when he moved to London (from Strawberry Hill/Fields (?) near Taunton in Somerset and one of his brother has or had a book on laundrywomen and published, apparently in British Library.

She was put off Ancestry.com websites etc due to cost I think she posted some details on a free site but so much info.

she/I live in London area (quite near each other) - should she visit the National Records/Archives at Kew? Any other info/advice I can give her? I don't have as much time but could help out as and when free.

The surname by the way is Paull, father's name was Sidney Paull, a tallyman, moved to Ladbroke Grove area, had 2 children, Lillian Jeanne (Jean) my grandmother and Betty (abbreviated name) her sister. His wife was Daisy, who was illegitimate but had an Irish mother, we don't know much about her, Daisy was said to be a maid who came to UK from Ireland. Sidney Paull's family were said to be French Hugenots, tailors by trade, possibly Jewish due to the name and my grandmother said her 'nose' was Jewish and she apparently got hired by Jewish solicitors pre and post war as they thought she was Jewish (she didn't tell them otherwise but they weren't they were Anglican!).

thanks for any info!

dodobookends Thu 29-Oct-15 19:34:22

Super - sending you a PM

dodobookends Thu 29-Oct-15 19:50:17

The surname Paull has a higher concentration in Cornwall than anywhere else in the UK according to my surname distribution map (based on 1881 census), with another smaller concentration in Somerset/Dorset, and of course some in London (every family seems to send somebody to London at some point), and a few elsewhere.

ValancyJane Fri 30-Oct-15 06:02:12

Her local library or record office will likely have a subscription to Ancestry / Find My Past if the cost is putting her off!

dodobookends Fri 30-Oct-15 09:42:49

Yes, and local libraries often run courses and workshops about family history too. The staff are usually knowledgeable and will be able to help.

What she needs to do is to start with the present, and work backwards in time, taking information from birth/marriage/death certificates and official records and checking those against what she already knows, rather than finding someone online who has posted their own family tree - if you do that you can sometimes find that you are barking up the wrong 'tree' altogether!

One site to look at is FreeBMD, which you can search, and gives you details of births marriages and deaths. From that information you can order certificates either from the actual register office where the event was recorded or from the General Register Office (which you can do online). Make sure that you use the official GRO website for this though, as there are many companies who offer the service and look 'official' but charge more.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 31-Dec-16 10:10:31

Is freeBMD only for England and Wales ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now