Talk

Advanced search

Trustee act 1925 notice - is this usual?

(2 Posts)
Anomaly Sun 28-Dec-14 17:19:48

My Dad finally got the details of his half brother and sister. I've found a death record for the sister in 1996 but no record on ancestry of his brother. I put the brothers name into google and I have a notice that was obviously published this year advertising that anyone with claim to the estate should get in touch.

My Dad has no interest in a claim even if he has one but I would love to get in touch with them to find out more of the family history. Sitting down with my Dad I've now found a second notice for another family member also for this year. There is also an address which from a bit of research I think his widow still lives at. Would it be ok to get in touch? Any suggestions as to how best to do it. The last thing I want is for them to think I have any mercenary motives I really do just want the family history.

Are these notices part of probate? Do they suggest that the person died intestate or without any family? Or do they imply that the person did have a will and that if you have a claim you need to do so before its distributed?

Any help would be appreciated.

RustyParker Sun 28-Dec-14 20:53:50

That's quite a find on Ancestry OP - most I found out was that I come from a long line of tailors!

Wish I could answer your questions but maybe repost in Legal or ask MNHQ to move your thread to there as I've seen lots of people who work in probate on that section so you might get pointed in the right direction with what it all means.

A sister once produced a very basic family tree on GenesReunited (when Ancestry.com was just a glint in the genealogy worlds eye) and she was contacted by someone who turned out to be a half sister of our mother whose existence we had never heard of!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now