Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know if a 'Military Tailor' would have an record?

(6 Posts)
Moln Wed 05-Feb-14 19:19:40

I'm clueless!!!

I've think I've found my great great grandfather and he's on the census as a "Master Military Tailor" in 1901 Irish census and then I find him on the 1891 based in a town with a barracks.

I'm assuming that he made uniforms, but what was his part in the army? would he have been a solider or not?!

If anyone has any info at all I'd like to hear

OP’s posts: |
CoolaSchmoola Wed 05-Feb-14 23:29:29

Master Tailor is a known role in the Army, and as with all trades within the Army they are soldiers first, trade second. Everyone trains as a soldier, and then goes on to trade training.

Master Tailors do make uniforms, but they also repair them, mount medals, sew on rank badges etc. They would have deployed with units to war and had a dual role.

Your best bet would be to contact either the Imperial War Museum for general information on role of a Master Tailor during that time, or the Ministry of Defence for copies of his service records.

Information on how to do that can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records#service-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

CoolaSchmoola Wed 05-Feb-14 23:32:02

My Grandmother was a Military Tailoress in the ATS during WWII.

Moln Thu 06-Feb-14 20:55:43

CoolaSchmoola, thank you so much!!!!

Great information to know

OP’s posts: |
cdtaylornats Mon 19-Jan-15 13:13:11

A military tailor doesn't need to be in the army. Gieves and Hawke are long established military tailors in Savile Row.

hoobypickypicky Tue 10-Feb-15 10:44:27

I came along to say the same as cdtaylornats. An ancestor of mine was a master military tailor - also in Ireland, by coincidence - but had nothing at all to do with military service.

I found many adverts for his business, letters to newspaper editors and press articles in the online British Newspaper Archive and via online access to the Freeman's Journal and the Irish Times archive material. These are paid for services but in my case it was (at the time, IIRC) about £10 and a day's browsing very well spent.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in