Talk

Advanced search

Tracing ancestors who emigrated?

(3 Posts)
Islenka Wed 01-Jan-14 17:06:14

I and my ancestors are Icelandic (with a few spots of Danish). It appears, that, in 1875, due to starvation, poverty and eventually the eruption of the volcano, that all of my direct ancestor's siblings/their children, as well as cousins, upped and moved, first to Ontario, and then onto Manitoba.

I have done a bit of research and know that they were amongst about 20,000 who did the same thing and that there is a sizeable Icelandic origin community within some areas of Manitoba.

Are there any good sites for ship records from Iceland (they came from a central rural village, but I don't know where they/other emigrants set off or which sea port) or good sites for Manitoba records? Or records specifically about Icelandic Canadians, or New Iceland?

Islenka Wed 01-Jan-14 17:09:38

Should add, therefore my great great great grandmother was the only one to stay in Iceland. She was, at the time, quite young (a child) with all her siblings adults or late teens. Her parents had died when she was three so I presume her siblings had been raising her. Where would she have gone?

JennySense Sat 22-Feb-14 10:00:44

Have you checked out Ancestry? Also try googling its possible that this info could be a special interest of someone's?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now