Talk

Advanced search

I hate entering info in a database

(5 Posts)
lljkk Fri 27-Dec-13 16:29:30

But I have cracked because I want to share GEDcom files.
I thought this would be a little project over the holiday break.
It's not little, it's endless!!!

Anyone want to commiserate?

throckenholt Sat 28-Dec-13 08:22:07

I hate all family history software things - so tedious to enter data (probably not so bad if you start out with one, but a total pain to do in retrospect).

I keep most of mine in word documents. The gedcoms I have are generated from things like entering data into ancestry and then exporting. If I share stuff I tend to send my word document and let the other person do whatever they want with it smile

Over Christmas, I was going to sort out some of my mass of data which I haven't got round to, but I haven't got round to doing any at all (did a jigsaw instead smile).

lljkk Sun 29-Dec-13 17:20:08

omg, I am wrestling with a gedcom with 9200 records in it (that's after I deleted about 100 pointless records). I am trying to get my head around how much more of it I can safely delete. Maybe 2400 records to merge with it, too.

tb Sun 18-May-14 15:04:36

Don't know about exporting gedcoms, but have found genmerge really easy to use for merging 2 gedcom files.

Google might come up with something for doing a gedcom -> access convert, or the whodoyouthinkyouare site might have software revues that would be helpful.

cdtaylornats Sun 28-Dec-14 21:01:52

I use a GEDCOM editor called GedPad Pro which eases the checking and editing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now