Advanced search

Tracing my family tree, can anyone help please.

(23 Posts)
NonnaMai Mon 15-Apr-13 18:58:47

I'm trying to find out the maiden name of my great, great grandmother. I've found her marriage certificate but maiden names were only recorded on certificates after 1912. She was married in 1866.

I'm sure there must be a way of finding out but I'm stuck.

lljkk Mon 15-Apr-13 19:08:53

Long shot, but ... Death certificate? American ones often have maiden name written on them.

RemindMeWhatSleepIs Mon 15-Apr-13 19:24:49

Try the birth register of any of her children. Usually listed with mothers maiden name too.

RemindMeWhatSleepIs Mon 15-Apr-13 19:25:46

If you get stuck PM me the details and i'll see what i can find.

NonnaMai Mon 15-Apr-13 19:33:34

Thank you, I only started this today and I'm stuck already grin

I will go back and look birth register she had 9 dc so that might work.

LeChatRouge Mon 15-Apr-13 19:37:19

Hi NonnaMai,

I subscribe to quite a few family history websites. If you want, let me have your gg grandpa's name, her first name and date/marriage place. I'll have a go at helping you......

SorrelForbes Mon 15-Apr-13 19:37:22

I've got British marriage certificates dating back to the 1870s and they've all got maiden names on them.

If you post her DOB and name and spouses name, I'll have a search for you.

throckenholt Mon 15-Apr-13 19:37:29

If you buy the certificate you will get her maiden name and (hopefully) her father's name. Or if you can find the church record it will also have it (assuming not married in a registry office). But you won't get it from just the index entry which is all that is available on most sites.

LeChatRouge Mon 15-Apr-13 19:38:52

....I'll only tell you the answer to this conundrum.....the best thing about this research is finding things out!

MrsPoglesWood Mon 15-Apr-13 19:43:09

I'm a bit confused. I've been doing my family tree for the last 15 years or so. I have plenty of marriage certificates pre 1912 back to about 1840 that show the bride's maiden name. The bride's surname entry on the marriage certificate is their maiden name. As in Jane Smith -spinster - married John Brown - bachelor. Do you mean her Mother's maiden name?

MrsPoglesWood Mon 15-Apr-13 19:50:25

Ah penny drops. She had the same maiden surname as her new husband. Chances are they were first or second cousins. I have some of those, not at all unusual.

As others have said to confirm you could try the births index to check the mother's maiden name but to do a quick reference on the GRO or Ancestry they would have to be registered after the September quarter of 1911. To check for certain you would have to pay for the birth certificates. But her surname at marriage should be her legal surname. What are her father's details on the marriage certificate? How is she listed in the 1861 or 1851 census whilst living in her parents' household?

Or check if the church where they married/had their DC baptised has allowed their registers to be transcribed and put on line.

NonnaMai Mon 15-Apr-13 20:04:56

Ok don't think this will out me,

Her name Elizabeth ? Born in 1844 in Bewerley Yorkshire

His name John Kirkbright, born in 1836 Bewerley Yorkshire

They married in 1866 in Pateley Bridge, Yorkshire.

I'm really confused. Also does anyone know about divorce records, did they exist in those days?.

I've just bought some credits on the find my past site so I can get certificates.

MrsPoglesWood Mon 15-Apr-13 20:14:49

Yes, as I thought. They had the same surname when they married. They were probably first or second cousins or she was the widow of someone called Kirkbright. That should be obvious from the marriage certificate though. Is she described as a spinster or a widow?

Divorce in those days would have been beyond the means of ordinary folk. Only the aristrocracy could afford it. And it was a hugely shameful thing to go through back then. Full on court hearings and the lot.

LeChatRouge Mon 15-Apr-13 20:46:53

Hmmm, interesting.

I see a marriage between a Joseph Kirkbright and Elizabeth RHODES in 1861 in Pateley Bridge. And then I see two possible deaths for Joseph in 1861 and 1865.

This could explain why Elizabeth had the name Kirkbright when she married John in 1866......

.....let me look a little more. Do you have brothers for John Kirkbright?

MrsPoglesWood Mon 15-Apr-13 20:52:47

Elizabeth was born in 1844 the daughter of John Kirkbright and Ann. They married before a formal marriage certificate was required so Ann's maiden name isn't easily obtainable without paying. There will be a church marriage register entry however.

Their eldest son's birth was registered as Timothy Kirbrite Sep 1837 Pateley Bridge ref 23/351. That will show you Elizabeth's mother's maiden name as will Elizabeth's birth certificate.

NonnaMai Mon 15-Apr-13 23:59:02

LeChatRouge I have possible parents for John:

James and Alice Kirkbright, they had sons Edward, James and John.

It would seem my ancestors liked to keep their relationships within the family shock

MrsPoglesWood Do I actually have to send off for hard copy certificates to get maiden names/parents names?.

Interestingly I have found my grandmother on a census but can find no record of her birth/marriage or death. confused

This is so addictive, my dc had burnt offerings for dinner. grin

SorrelForbes Tue 16-Apr-13 00:04:16

I usually order copies (from GRO) of marriage and birth certificates to get details like maiden names, father's profession etc.

MrsPoglesWood Tue 16-Apr-13 00:15:42

Oh yes, it is very, very addictive!

If you've got Elizabeth's marriage certificate then you should have confirmation of her maiden name - which is her name on the certificate. And her Father's name and occupation. That should enable you to find them on the census returns from 1861 back to 1841. You can follow Elizabeth and her children in her married life from 1871 to 1911 - which is the latest date that census records have been released for. Birth, marriage and death records are available from 1837 to 2005.

NonnaMai Tue 16-Apr-13 09:48:23

MrsPoglesWood Thank you for all your help.
One last question [grin.

Most of my information has come from census records so far. Obviously I need birth/marriage certs to get parents and maiden names. Is there anywhere online I can pay to view full certificates instantly or do I need to send off for them.

throckenholt Tue 16-Apr-13 14:23:07

The only way you can see the certificates (if they aren't part of the parish registers already online (eg ancestry London registers)) is to buy the certificate either from the GRO or the local register office. The alternative might be to visit the county records office and view the register (or more likely copy of it) if it was a church marriage.

You may be lucky - it may have been transcribed and published of included in something like freereg - but that is vary variable - good coverage for some places like Norfolk and Somerset, but not for others (like Suffolk).

MrsPoglesWood Tue 16-Apr-13 20:54:10

Agree with throckenholt. If you do buy certificates online make sure you get them from GRO as there are a couple of sites that charge three times as much just to act as a gateway. Not sure how they get away with it.

NonnaMai Wed 17-Apr-13 11:34:44

Thank you grin

tb Sat 04-May-13 16:01:53

Often there are records that can be viewed of the certificates of the banns of marriage. I've found records of these in my own 'tree'. Most seem to be in Yorkshire, and I've found them on the ancestry uk site.

I, too, am stuck -I can't for the life of me find a link between 2 families, although have found details going back to the 1500s.

'Tis a bugger.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: