Advanced search

Closed Home office records regarding naturalisation

(5 Posts)
specialsubject Mon 10-Jun-13 20:02:30

sorry to resurrect a zombie thread, but I have the answer - worked for me!

seeking out the naturalisation records for my late grandfather which were closed until 2032. Sent an FOI request, citing the need to know of his children (my father and aunts) all in their 80s. Waited for the approved time, the records were then opened. Got a quote, paid and a fascinating envelope arrived. You pay per page, I think it was well under £20.

as always, more questions than answers but we found out a lot.

mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 11-Nov-12 21:27:58

I have a similar issue relating to a criminal case but no one is in touch with the family member who would be 97 now which is possible, but her parents and all her siblings died before 70. The issue for me is that I believe there was a marriage but have no idea to who and this cannot prove that she is dead. The records I need are closed until 2037 because it is 100 years from the incident.

ivykaty44 Fri 28-Sep-12 22:26:55

FOI is relatively easy and often succesful.

Write a letter, included a death certificate of the ancestor and then sit back and wait and see what happens - you have nothing to lose apart from perhaps the cost of a death certificate

Linnet Mon 17-Sep-12 22:17:12


Linnet Mon 17-Sep-12 00:19:58

I have discovered my great great grandfather listed on the national archives website, the records are his application for naturalisation to become a British citizen.

However, they are closed down for 100 years but it says on the site that you can ask under the freedom of information act for them to open a record and they will consider it.

Has anyone ever done this and been successful? And if so how much did it cost for the records?

Also does anyone know what sort of info there would be in the record?


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now