Talk

Advanced search

military history......

(20 Posts)
imwaiting Tue 10-Aug-10 18:38:01

I am new to all this history thing, so can anyone tell me where to go to find out about my gt grandad? I know he was a Lt Col MC in the Duke of Wellington Rgt, and he was born in 1880.
I would love to know about his service history, and also trace the family back further if poss.
Thanks

LucindaCarlisle Tue 10-Aug-10 21:14:01

Get his exact date of birth and his full name

With that rank and him having the MC there are probably regimental records which mention his name.

Google his name, do an advanced research.

Look at www.findmypast.com they have military sub sections.

Where was the Duke of Wellingtons regiment based?

imwaiting Tue 10-Aug-10 21:38:05

D of W based in Halifax.
I have e mailed their museum/archive but they have not replied.
I have googled him, but don't get much info (William Boocock)
Apparently the MC's were not recorded like the VC's are.
Do you reckon FindMyPast is the best?
Like you say, with that rank I would love to know more about him and where he came from.
Thanks for repling.

LucindaCarlisle Tue 10-Aug-10 21:44:46

Google First world war History Forum and see what you get.

They have forums and lots of the members are very helpful.
findmypast is excellent.

Do you live near TNA at Kew?

imwaiting Tue 10-Aug-10 22:31:39

Nowhere near I'm afraid!
Will try forum.
Thanks.

Esmee Wed 11-Aug-10 17:30:07

Hi imwaiting, I think I have found a record for William Boocock.

Regiment, Corps etc.: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)
Battalion etc.: 9th Battalion.
Formed at Halifax Sept. 1914-K2-to Wareham area in 52nd Bde. 17th Div. Oct. 1914 Bovington. Nov. 1914 Wimborne. June 1915 Hursley. About 15 July 1915 landed at Boulogne. 11.11.18 52nd Bde. 17th Div. France; south of Maubeuge.
Last name: Boocock
First name(s): William
Initials: W
Birthplace: Barnoldswick, Yorks
Enlisted: Skipton, Yorks
Residence: Barnoldswick
Number: 12979
Date died: 7 July 1916
How died: Killed in action
Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Could this be him? (Killed in action.)

imwaiting Wed 11-Aug-10 18:58:27

Wow! thanks Esmee! Where did you find all that?
I'm not sure it is the same person though. Was the above a Private when he died? I know my Gt Grandad was a Lt Col (MC).
I am not aware of him dying in action that young - or rather when my grandad was age 6 (he has two younger brothers). Amazing info though. What site is that from??

orienteerer Wed 11-Aug-10 19:02:28

I see you've found loads, I would have said go to the National Archives

orienteerer Wed 11-Aug-10 19:09:50

If Esmee's one is not the right person I would contact the DWR Regimental Association they will have a list of all MC holders and certainly a starting point.

orienteerer Wed 11-Aug-10 19:11:10

....ops, just noticed you have already emailed them.......blush

orienteerer Wed 11-Aug-10 19:17:25

2Lt William Boocock West Riding Regt?

"In 1881 the 33rd was formally amalgamated with the the 76th Regiment of Foot, which had been raised in 1787, They became, respectively, the 1st and 2nd Battalions of The Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) and later, The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)."

Esmee Wed 11-Aug-10 20:09:07

You're welcome, imwaiting. Though you're right, the record I found was a Private, not a Lt Col. Quite an unusual name though, perhaps I can find more. That one was from Find My Past. If you have any idea when he might have died, I have loads of results coming up from Armed Forces Deaths, but would need to narrow it down a bit. Or do you have his regimental number?

On Ancestry.co.uk, I've found a few Medal Card for a William Boocock, he is listed as 2/Lt in West Riding Regiment, and below that is 'Captain'. He has served in France and has Victory and Star medals. That could be him?

Esmee Wed 11-Aug-10 20:10:03

Just realised what I've found is the same as what orienteerer linked to, though I can see the actual image for free on Ancestry.

imwaiting Wed 11-Aug-10 22:06:08

So is all this info on Ancestry.co.uk?
I think I will have to sign up. I know very little about him. No relatives seem to know much about him either, other than my gt uncle (his son) was a POW in Japan during WW2, and my grandad was a WO1 Sgt Maj.
All very intriging......
Lt Col sounds pretty grand to me!
Thanks everyone for helping.

Idontknowhowtohelpher Wed 10-Nov-10 20:34:58

For one week only (7th - 14th November 2010) Ancestry are opening their WW1 records for free searches - I've had a fascinating time finding out about my great uncle! details here -www.ancestry.co.uk/ukmilitary_offer

marriednotdead Wed 10-Nov-10 21:22:09

Thanks so much Idontknow, I have just looked up and found records for my grandad smile

Was prompted by DH asking who died for me as I was wearing a poppy hmm
I then realised we had never discussed it.

I was always confused as to how my grandad could have served in WW1 (he was born in 1899) but he signed up straight after his 18th birthday. I remember him having nightmares about the war when we lived with him as children.

Mum says he hid in a mayoress's cellar in Belgium to evade capture at one point!

Idontknowhowtohelpher Wed 10-Nov-10 21:27:09

Family stories are fascinating, aren't they?

My great uncle ran away to join up when he was 17 and was killed in 1916 when he was 19. No known grave but he is listed on the Thiepval Monument in France.

marriednotdead Wed 10-Nov-10 22:32:06

Sad no grave, seems so wrong.

I want mum to draw up a family tree before she gets much older, she's the only one who knows anything and she doesn't keep in touch with the extended family at all.

ivykaty44 Sun 28-Nov-10 10:30:14

Japanese POW are now listed on ancestry so you could also try to find that information about your great uncle if you wish

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Tue 14-Dec-10 23:03:58

Just a quick tip for researching military history, Territorial Army centres archive history about it's regimental past and you are well within your rights to ring them and ask to see any war memorial plaques onsite - if you let them know what you're after they're more than happy to help (in my experience).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: