Talk

Advanced search

Unpaid Parental Leave

(3 Posts)
persianpeach Thu 21-Sep-17 10:19:52

Hello, this past summer I really struggled to get enough paid holiday time to be cover the 6 weeks school holidays, my husband and I kind of shared it which was okay but not ideal as we did want some time off altogether really.
I've seen on another post someone mentioning Unpaid Parental Leave and I'm wondering if this is the answer to my prayers?!
I've been on direct.gov but the information is very limited and of course there is no telephone number to contact them and ask any further questions.
Does anyone know anymore about this or has anyone been brave enough to ask for it?
I don't want to go to my manager being this uninformed. I suppose really I would like to know if you meet the requirements do employers have to agree to this?

Felinewonderful Sat 11-Nov-17 07:30:49

Employers do have to agree to this but unfortunately they can control exactly when you take the leave. You have to take the leave in weeks not days.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 11-Nov-17 07:38:34

It's quite simple really. If you have a disabled child you can take it in single days and don't have to give 28 days notice. If your child isn't disabled you have to take it in week long blocks and have to request it at least 28 days before it starting. Your employer can not refuse your request but can postpone it up to 6 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now