Talk

Advanced search

Am I too old at 42 to re train?

(6 Posts)
Ojoj1974 Sat 08-Apr-17 22:51:11

Hi, I'm 42 and have always worked in sales and marketing. I'm currently working from home, flexible hours, but mind mumbling dull work.
I have no idea what I want to re train as and I can't afford to pay to go to uni.
I love working with people, kids, caring but have lost a lot if self confidence.
I don't know where to start... I want a job I enjoy

crazyhead Mon 24-Apr-17 12:43:51

I'm in a similar boat aged 40. Another way of looking at it is can you mange 25 more years of a career you don't like?

You sound as though you've thought through what you feel you bring to the table in terms of what you feel you enjoy but I think you need to put a bit of work into brainstorming jobs you might do and what is involved. You might also find jobs that draw on your skills and experience. When you are feeling demoralised it is quite easy to write off what you've done and its relevance for future jobs.

You also perhaps need a sense of long term practical factors - what you need to earn, what hours.

It is hard, but a very typical question at our age I reckon!

4catsaremylife Fri 12-May-17 04:13:57

I retrained aged 48 I went to university via the access route and ended up doing really well academically so following my BSc hons graduation took on a MSc which I passed last September. Unfortunately now aged 54 I have really struggled to gain graduate level work,
My advice is to seriously consider what the career prospects are like in the area you are thinking of moving to and whether ageism is a factor

PotahtoPotayto Fri 12-May-17 04:50:51

Definitely agree with everything PP have said. You say you love working with people in a caring role. Have you thought about volunteering to start off with? Maybe just on weekends or something at first? I am not 100% certain about this, so do forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe that most institutions or charities run on a roster of both volunteers and full time staff.

Perhaps if you're enjoying volunteering enough you could then look into the roles available and cater your training towards that?

Blossom789 Fri 12-May-17 05:01:06

Definitely not too old. I'm not sure which courses come with bursaries now but you could look into it - nursing, physio, occupational therapy type degrees.

Agree with the others, get some experience to check it suits you then explore further. There are plenty of assistant healthcare posts but that would probably mean a pay cut.

PositiveAttitude Fri 12-May-17 06:39:54

I've just qualified in something that is totally different to my qualification at the age of 21 and I am now 50.
If you get a student 24+ loan you wont need to pay it back until you earn £21,000 a year and then it is only a small amount each month from your wages.

Go for it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now