Talk

Advanced search

Single parent of 2 - take job or no?

(3 Posts)
Marie38y Wed 15-Mar-17 22:04:57

I am well paid (>130k). I have split with my husband a year ago and now have my 2 kids (5 and 2) , he has them for 2 weekends out of every 6.
So far it is working because despite my 3 hour commute time, I have an amazing nanny and a 9-5 job with one day from home. The job is boring though and is a contract (freelance), so they can cut me at any time. (I have been working this way for 4 years)
I have been interviewing for a permanent job which is less well paid, but still a good salay (110k) but having spoken to HR today they explained hours are 8:30-6 or 6:30 and work from home would likely be ad-hoc rather than regular 1 day a week.
I love the sound of the job. I think I will learn and I would love the comfort of a permanent role. I already planned to move in order to spend more time with children and hence from Summer will reduce my commute to 30 mins each way.
If they agree to an 8-5 role (as I proposed ) , should I turn down anyway on the basis that if working hours are longer generally I will be excluded and fail to progress, hence making the pay cut a more long-lasting one than I hoped.
My girls are doing well and their dad is good but not around regularly as he works abroad, so the wrap-around care would be an au pair for my eldest or school clubs. Nursery hours cover me for the youngest but I did this with my eldest (full time and 8-5) and it was
tough - and then I only had one child !
But I do think - I could lose my freelance role tomorrow or have my salary cut and the nervousness of that is hard.

#firstWorldProblems, I know. I love my job and am very lucky to have it, I half believe that my industry has to start supporting parents, and I'm more than willing to put the hours in that are required, but not in the office for 10 hours a day: so is it worth trying to prove that I can do my job well, in less hours than my peers, or accept this is just not the right organisation for me ?

bunnylove99 Mon 20-Mar-17 16:04:25

Hi OP. You are doing great working full time as a single parent in a well paid job. I would go for the perm post, but only if they accept your 8-5pm proposal. Once your start and prove your worth you can push for regular working from home . It's understandable you wish to progress your career, but your children will only be little for such a short time and it won't be much of a family life for them if they only see you at weekends. You are already earning more than most people dream of. Good luck.

Marie38y Mon 20-Mar-17 16:53:25

Thank you ! I appreciate the advice, I struggle to know where the cut off point is re. hours worked, because anything can be done, but the sacrifice is really theirs rather than mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now