Talk

Advanced search

Too many maternity leaves??

(6 Posts)
MakeMineADouble81 Wed 10-Aug-16 16:30:18

Hi all, I have three DC aged 5, 2 and 1. I have recently returned to work part time but am seriously considering a fourth baby as don't feel "done" yet. If we do go for another I plan to start trying January next year as don't want large gaps and I'm not getting any younger.

My concern is my employer and colleagues and the amount of maternity leave I've taken. If I am able to have another baby it would mean my fourth mat leave in six years.

I work for a large multi national so financially for them it's inconsequential also I am replaced during my time off so no impact to colleagues.

However, I feel embarassed at the thought of announcing another pregnancy and I know I'd be gossiped about. Also my boss has been flexible with my working hours and I don't want to let anyone down.

I know a job shouldn't affect my family planning but do worry I'd be talked about etc.

Has anybody else taken a lot of time off for maternity leave and how was fourth plus pregnancy received?

To put into context I've taken a year off with each baby and have worked for the company for ten years.

Thanks!

Lilmisskittykat Wed 10-Aug-16 16:38:03

If you want a forth child I wouldn't worry about what colleagues think.

GinFuel Sat 11-Feb-17 21:51:26

I absolutely get how you feel about your colleagues talking and not wanting to let down a boss who has been really accommodating with flexible hours.

Firstly, I think to myself that women have to compromise a lot in terms of working and having a family. There's enough stress without carrying guilt from boss/colleagues/company.

Secondly, (and the one that really helps me) I have talked to a lot of older people at the end stages of their life. People can regret a lot of things when they reflect back, but I've never heard anybody dwelling on how much time they took off work and the impact this had one their boss/colleagues. Weigh up what's more important, another baby or protecting your reputation at work. In five years time, which one would you look back on and feel was the right choice for you?
There will always be workplace gossip, if you are the topic for a while then so what? You sound as if you have an understanding boss and I take my hat off to you for holding down a job with 3 LOs. You've committed time to you're job, maybe you're an inspiration to other women wondering how to juggle work/family/mat (optimistic hat on!).

Having said all that I have no experience with the 4x mat leave but good luck with however it pans out!

GinFuel Sat 11-Feb-17 22:26:17

blushzombie thread! I always get too brave on MN when iv had a Vino was convinced it was a 2017 thread at least!!

wundringnow Sun 12-Feb-17 10:10:28

For what it's worth though Ginfuel, I found your comment very helpful!

GinFuel Sun 12-Feb-17 15:10:04

Thanksgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now