Talk

Advanced search

Working shorter days or long days?

(4 Posts)
LOUNIC Sat 19-Mar-16 22:18:24

Ok so just now I do 10 hr days..40 hrs, mon -wed and every 2nd weekend. I have 2 children...just turned 5 (nursery) and 2 (almost 3).
When my eldest goes to school in Aug I'm changing my plan and not entirely sure what to do! My youngest will go to the nursery next door mon-thurs..
Was thinking a 10 hr day on a Monday. Then tues-thurs 9am - 3pm. Also do one weekend in 4 and on the week I do that then just work the mon -wed. Would be off every friday...
What do you think? I'm just thinking being able to pick them both up would be good and would mean I don't need to rely on people picking them up, apart from a Monday.
Just now I am working 9-7pm and getting in when they are going to bed is just not great at all. Although I get a thurs/fri off I feel for the 3 days I basically don't see them and am getting in as they are going to bed.

Would love to hear your thoughts on what you think is best...??

Thanks, Lou x

Xmasbaby11 Sat 19-Mar-16 22:21:43

Yes I think I'd be happy doing those shifts. I'd rather spread the work over 4 days. I think it's nice to have after school time with your dc especially since he'll be new to school.

LOUNIC Sat 19-Mar-16 22:27:47

Thanks! Yeah I know that's what I'm thinking, although I'll be doing the extra day I think I would feel better being the one picking them up and having time with them after school/nursery. Then dinner in the house and chill out time/ homework etc.

If I do the longer days they have dinner at mother in laws house, then my husband picks them up and gets them organised at home for bed. A long day for them both and they are just about in meltdown by the time I get home :-(
X

Oly5 Sun 10-Apr-16 16:35:15

Shorter days definitely. The kids will benefit more and you'll get the nice after school pickups

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now