Talk

Advanced search

Flexible hours working from home - is there such a job?

(7 Posts)
Notthinkingclearly Thu 10-Mar-16 06:57:13

Dp works away alot and I have kids that are often poorly so don't feel I could commit to a fixed contract. Does anyone do a admin based job working from home with flexible hours? Do such jobs exist?

Vajazzler Thu 10-Mar-16 07:46:23

I do admin work from home for a property maintenance and building company. My husband works for them so I knew the boss already and he offered me the position based on my emails and invoices regarding my husbands wages! I work 20-30 hrs a week self employed and access necessary files on a shared drive. With email and telephone liasing it's fairly easy. I deal with job specs, load electric inspection certificates into the system, email clients and liaise with suppliers. As long as important stuff gets done if it's needed asap, the boss doesn't mind if I work in the evenings.

FellOutOfBedTwice Thu 10-Mar-16 07:57:05

Place marking. I'm wondering the same.

mm2016 Sun 24-Apr-16 21:36:30

Look into being a VA (Virtual Assistant), lots of information on the internet. Startup is a basic website and not afraid to sell yourself. Similar is selling beauty products for a company, they offer great support, you get to connect with lots of people and both are a learning curve for confidence, selling and driving to make it work. They are not hard to do, both just take confidence to get started. I'm doing both a few hours a week to supplement my full time salary, but many people do them as full time work. I am making money doing both.

Sc00byd00 Tue 26-Apr-16 10:29:12

I'm also looking for a job that is more flexible. But I live in Wales and it seems that there are far fewer options available. I currently work full time 8.30 to 5pm so my little ones are in school 8am to 5.30pm which I feel is too long for them. I also struggle with childcare in the holidays my parents are in their 70's and live 25miles away so i travel 100miles a day in the holidays dropping them off before and after work. To be honest I'm feeling terribly guilty about it all and would love to just change to home working or school hours. Any suggestions would be great.

niceknees Thu 28-Apr-16 12:41:07

It's draining when the job is not flexible. I used to work for well know company that made it it so difficult for me to look after my two year old at that time. We had to pay a fortune to the local nursery. All my wages were spent on the nursery bills and I constantly felt as a bad parent as had to commute 5 days a week and often came back home when my son was already in bed. I even started thinking of getting another qualification (either in accountancy or in project management) but it was never the time smile

I actually know someone who is looking a part time book keeper in london and they are happy to offer family friendly hours and loads of flexibility. here is the link in case anybody is interested: www.quidco.com/careers/Bookkeeper-

BrieAndChilli Thu 28-Apr-16 13:00:40

In my experience the only employed work from home jobs (so as a PAYE employee rather than a contractor/self employed/MLM) are from either working for a company an negotiating working from home or knowing someone In The company already. Most of my friends who work from home one or 2 days a week have worked there since before kids etc. I work from home during school hours but a friend of mine is quite senior in the company so recommended me, only a handful of people work from home and I do go into the office a couple of times a month etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now