Talk

Advanced search

'Friend request pending' - what exactly does this mean?

(12 Posts)
Tinker Wed 05-Aug-09 00:21:19

Is it for:
a) someone you have requested as a friend;
b) someone who has requested you to be their friend or;
c) both?

Thanks

Claire2009 Wed 05-Aug-09 00:22:27

If you request to be someone's friend and they've not yet accepted/declined it will say friend request pending, and vice versa.

Tinker Wed 05-Aug-09 00:30:49

Thanks. So, the message would only appear for me if I have requested them? This is someone I've never heard of and certainly haven't requested (appears to be Spanish or South American).

LyraSilvertongue Wed 05-Aug-09 02:06:04

Seems like they have requested and are awaiting outcome. Do you have a friend request in notifications?

Tinker Wed 05-Aug-09 23:35:26

Thanks. I deleted it before checking notifications.

UnquietDad Thu 06-Aug-09 16:19:16

Odd, I have a friend request from someone with a South American/Spanish sounding name too! I don't know her so I sent a message asking who she is and if we have met (I post on a couple of fora so it;s possible she could be someone I know under a pseudonym).

Afterwards I couldn't remember if someone can see your profile for a limited time if you message them, and if so, if it's a way of harvesting email addresses for spam?...

OhBling Thu 06-Aug-09 16:23:12

Yes - if you send a message the person you end the message to can see your page for a month I think.

I guess they could harvest your page for email addresses etc in theory at that point.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 06-Aug-09 16:23:38

I'm pretty sure if you send someone a message they can see your profile for some amount of time.

UnquietDad Thu 06-Aug-09 16:25:43

Yes, I thought so. Guess that answers it then... Oh well. Good job I have a decent spam filter on Mozilla Thunderbird.

RustyBear Thu 06-Aug-09 17:00:37

Was it Regina something or other? I had a friend request from Regina a while ago, which I refused because I had no idea who it was & then thought it might have been a Mumsnetter - they didn't leave a message though & I normally reject any friend requests without a message unless I know who they are.

UnquietDad Thu 06-Aug-09 17:23:35

Wasn't Regina, no.

Tinker Fri 07-Aug-09 00:02:21

Ooo, interesting. Yes, I assumed it must be someone harvesting (great word - have just seen Moon) email addresses. It wasn't Regina but did show "her" "photo" and "profile".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now