Talk

Advanced search

are only wankers on facebook?

(108 Posts)
BadgersArse Tue 28-Jul-09 17:06:36

is it liek having a tattoo?

does tattoo plus endless whittering abotu your wall a chav make?

BitOfFun Tue 28-Jul-09 17:07:49

Yes. I joined myself just yesterday. Only as BitOfFun though. So just a part-time wanker I suppose.

cocolepew Tue 28-Jul-09 17:07:54

Must be, because I'm not.

<full of self importance>

HairyMuff Tue 28-Jul-09 17:08:35

Yes its shit.

LadyHooHa Tue 28-Jul-09 17:08:51

Tee hee. I would say yes!

I am not on Facebook, and will never be on it. QED.

moondog Tue 28-Jul-09 17:09:33

Someone I have alot of time for showed me her site [or whatever is called] the other day and how it worked. I was quite shocked.
It is unbelievably inane.

maggievirgo Tue 28-Jul-09 17:11:28

Well, I'm on it, but I do know what you mean. Some people I used to go to school with are always putting their status to things like "I'd like to thank my team for their support this week"... right., so, you have a team of people working for you, okey doke, noted

or, worse, some guy you hardly know does a quiz 'how many times a week do you need to have sex' and the answer pops up in your feed. I don't want to know. I don't want to have to visualise that.

I'm a very boring person on FB, i never do anything, I'm a voyeur. It's easy to contact friends though (and the other people, lol, IN the unlikely event you might want to!) and I do laugh at other people's antics while I remain dignified and reserved. It's cheating really.

melmog Tue 28-Jul-09 17:14:12

Well, I'm on face book and I'm not a wanker. I only joined as it's a nice way to keep in touch with old workmates. I am very strict though and I only have friends that I would ring for a chat in real life.
Really though, it's because I got addicted to farm town and now I can't leave.

Oh yes, I have a tattoo too! I'm not a chav either. I was young and stupid when I got it but at least only my husband and midwife have seen it recently! grin

pointydog Tue 28-Jul-09 17:14:18

why do people do all those quizzes? Is at attention-seeking or what

UnquietDad Tue 28-Jul-09 17:14:22

I quite like it, but I was sick to death, when I first joined, of people throwing zombies at me and offering me flowers for non-existent virtual gardens.

That's so 2007 though - these days it's all "Which Tube line are you?" and "What are your top 5 characters from Howards' Way"?

Hassled Tue 28-Jul-09 17:15:50

I see that I last updated my FB status in February. And that was to remark how rubbish DH is at Mario Kart Wii. Strangely, no-one cared.

I thought it was getting all a bit silly when the guy who catered for our wedding in 2007 wanted to be my friend. And then this was confirmed when an 11 year old girl from DS2's class wanted to be my friend.

Its only redeeming feature is that you can spy on your offspring. You won't necessarily like what you see.

SoccerMum Tue 28-Jul-09 17:16:42

Im on there, my family are spread across the world and its a good way for us to stay in touch. I block all those useless irritating applications though, so I dont get the virtual glass of wine or a poxy fluffy cat sending me a virtual purr!

mrsruffallo Tue 28-Jul-09 17:16:48

Yes. It is a wanker fest

UnquietDad Tue 28-Jul-09 17:19:11

I was quite naive with the friends thing to begin with. I accepted people who were friends of friends and people who had met me once. I'm now more discerning.

So I have on my friends list two people in their early 20s who are former students from a talk I did at a university 18 months ago(!) - although that's been quite interesting as one of them is developing into a Guardian writer and the other is a very personable Who and Buffy fan.

I also have my children's former teacher on there, which I hold my hands up and say was a mistake. She was a friend of a friend of mine via school who was on the PFA.

Housemum Tue 28-Jul-09 17:20:53

Depends how you use it. I ignore all the crap about thrwing things, giving virtual gifts etc and just use it as a way of keeping in touch with friends who live further away, and seeing what they are up to/sharing pics of the kids etc.

I don't class myself as a wanker, and have no tattoos and only my ears pierced (once)!

UnquietDad Tue 28-Jul-09 17:22:56

Some of the seemingly crap quizzes/surveys do provoke some non-crap reactions. I've just done one about 15 most memorable novels, and it's led into a quite interesting discussion about which is the best Ian McEwan novel.

The comments facility is one of the best additions in the last year. Don't know how people managed without it before!

maggievirgo Tue 28-Jul-09 17:23:17

I want to cull my list UQD, cos I did the same thing.

I want to be like melmog now, and have a cosier feel. to have nobody on my list that I wouldn't go for a coffee with if i bumped into them in the street.

Anyone been 'culled' or done a cull? was it embarrassing? anybody comment?

PortAndLemon Tue 28-Jul-09 17:25:08

It's quite useful. I have a lot of extended family on mine -- people I like to keep vaguely in touch with but know we'd be down to annual Christmas cards by now if not for FB. I do a lot of application blocking, mind you.

2shoes Tue 28-Jul-09 17:25:40

pmsl at UQD

moondog Tue 28-Jul-09 17:27:11

After reading this i supect it is even more inane than I first suspected.Virtual flowers? Glasses of wine? Quizzezabout sex? Good grief, where do folk find the time for such nonsense.

<adjusts pince nez>

RealityIsHavingBumsex Tue 28-Jul-09 17:29:19

Message withdrawn

melmog Tue 28-Jul-09 17:30:37

Someone wants to be like me.... that's a first! V proud blush

I culled all my school friends as I realised I didn't really like them back then which is why we never stayed in touch. No one has commented.

They don;t get a notification that you have remoived them, you just disappear from their friends list.

Oh, scrap that, forgot that one girl did message me to say I'd gone and I had to make something up about deleting loads of people by mistake and she's still my friend now. Makes me cringe now!

You can hide yourself though, so you won't come up on any searches.

Chevre Tue 28-Jul-09 17:30:47

i like it, it is a v. lazy way of keeping in touch with people.

you are probably just bitter cos you joined and only made 10 friends

SoccerMum Tue 28-Jul-09 17:30:52

I like it because I am so nosey.

maggievirgo Tue 28-Jul-09 17:31:28

My friend is a barrister and he seems to be on it all day. I would love to make a sarky comment, but it would seem terribly bitter from an unemployed single Mum, but I do seriously wonder HOW he can find the time to be attaching news articles to FB. He's on Twitter as well. I have given that a total swerve!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now