Talk

Advanced search

Today my trust fund nephew posted an invitation on Facebook to a house wrecking weekend party giving my postcode as the address

(9 Posts)
BobbyPeeler Thu 30-Mar-17 14:22:38

The property next door to mine (owned by my brother’s very wealthy widow) is to be demolished and the site developed which means that my family are faced with a horrible summer of living on a building site, but you can’t made an omelette without breaking eggs so it is what it is.
The house that is up for demolition was my parent’s home, so my family home and therefore has massive emotional significance but we are the poor relations and money is power.
Today my trust fund nephew posted an invitation on Facebook to a house wrecking weekend party giving our shared post code as the address (with his mother’s full permission). By his own admission, he intends for his mates and himself to be ‘wasted’ whilst the house which is just yards from my own is destroyed by him and his mates.
Despite making it an invitation event, I can see how he has any control over who will get to hear about this party or how far they extend the ‘wrecking fun’. He has invited his guests to bring tools and alcohol ‘lets spend the whole weekend getting the house and ourselves trashed’.
We had booked a holiday to Portugal for that week and now feel that we will have to cancel and forfeit the money because to leave our home unoccupied would be a big risk as we have a shared access and the fences are down.
We have appealed to my sister in law and my nephew to cancel this event, although it may be too late because social media moves like wildfire but they see no harm. Every penny we own is invested in our home which we work hard to make nice.
My nephew is not a kid, he is in his late twenties although he never had a real job or have any concept of responsibility, money has made the whole family not trouble themselves with care or concern for others.
What do people think we should do I feel ill with worry about this?

CashelGirl Thu 30-Mar-17 14:26:10

Call the council and and police and see if you can get it should down due to worries about antisocial behaviour.

Sorry they don't have more respect for your home or your feelings. It would be awful if it was strangers, but the fact that it is family makes it so much worse.

ScarlettFreestone Thu 30-Mar-17 14:28:42

I'd be calling the police for advice.

A large group of people with alcohol and tools is a recipe for disaster.

And I'm very sorry you are related to such dreadful people. flowers

ImperialBlether Thu 30-Mar-17 14:31:04

Blimey, I'd have called the police immediately! Who the hell does he think he is? And his parents sound awful, too.

JellyWitch Thu 30-Mar-17 14:33:15

I'd let the police know. They always want to know about late potentially wild parties involving alcohol.

Thinkingblonde Thu 30-Mar-17 14:33:44

I'd forfeit the holiday to keep an eye on my house, I think I would also inform the police as this has the potential to go badly wrong, have the utility services been cut off? Gas, Water, Electricity?
He could be stepping into breach of the peace territory.
If you do cancel your holiday and the party goes ahead don't hesitate to call the police if it gets out of hand.
How disrespectful of them.

WatchingFromTheWings Thu 30-Mar-17 14:34:43

Screen shot it and take it to the police. They can have a word with him and maybe arrange extra patrols for that night. You wouldn't want any incidents spilling over into your property either.

Thinkingblonde Thu 30-Mar-17 14:37:07

Good advice upthread, call the police and council, Don't worry about upsetting him or his mother, they don't give a flying fig about upsetting you.

Instasista Thu 30-Mar-17 14:38:06

Whhat would the police do? It's his premises (or he at least has permission from the owner) and the party hasn't even happened yet. The police can't stop people having parties!

Personally I think if he's late 20s he's well past the stage of Facebook invites being gatecrashed by randoms, and the property sounds large- I think you should go on your holiday. It must be very upsetting to hear of him wanting to do this stuff to your childhood home, to witness it would be even worse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now