Deleted my account. Fed up of drama and all things negative.

(30 Posts)
ParaPrincess Sun 23-Oct-16 21:40:46

I came off my Facebook very recently after deciding it was having a negative impact on my mental health. I am so fed up of people saying they were there for me when in reality they couldn't give a shit. I was also sick of school mothers (from my DDs school) creating drama. I tried to stop other mums being negative to each other and it seems I have made everything 100x worse now resulting in online abuse. I actually feel sick over some things that have been said.
At 25 I've now been called weird for not having a FB account. The only two people who have been understanding is my DH and my 65 year old Dad.

Has anyone else came off it? Did you feel better once you came off it for a while?

Vixxfacee Sun 23-Oct-16 21:43:35

I haven't been on it for 7 years. Don't care and don't miss it!

MyschoolMyrules Sun 23-Oct-16 21:45:57

I haven't because I live away from my family and most of my FF are from my home town, cousins, my parents and old school friends. It is a great way for me to keep in to help with all of them. But I have 'unfollowed' quite a few people, who have made racist comments, or were unkind to other friends or even comments on children. So I have around 150 friends and I have unfollowed about 30 over the last few months!

I understand you though, i have thought about it in the past. Some people can be very nasty.

CannotEvenDeal Sun 23-Oct-16 21:47:21

I'm not on there anymore. I couldn't take one "love my beautiful family" post. Vom

CannotEvenDeal Sun 23-Oct-16 21:47:34

one *more

ParaPrincess Sun 23-Oct-16 21:48:03

It shockdd me just how nasty some people could be online when they seemed so nice in person. Its given me trust issues!

BadEngleesh Sun 23-Oct-16 21:57:41

I used to have Facebook when I lived abroad as it was useful for sharing photos with my family but once I returned to the UKi deleted it. I just found it annoying and I used to find myself annoying when I was using it. 😂 I would catch myself being a too interested in other peoples boring shite and being too judgey. I'm quite private so I wouldn't post anything and I started hiding people's posts who I found boring or braggy.... so all in all it was all rather pointless.

I occasionally would like to have a bit of a stalk but generally don't miss it at all.

Texfactor Sun 23-Oct-16 22:09:01

Sorry you're having a hard time, OP.
I gave up FB two and a half years ago. I call it SmugBook. In my experience, most posters are so smug & I think it can be damaging to people's MH & also can make people forget how to communicate normally.
All that is just my personal opinion. Most of my friends use it & sadly I think I might have to return as doing a fundraiser next year but do not want to! Do what makes you feel better, OP.

RiverTam Sun 23-Oct-16 22:14:33

I know quite a few people who aren't on it, you're definitely not alone!

My FB is ok, no drama or bitching. But I am very selective as to who in friends with, and I unfollow those I can't be bothered with <hard stare at BIL). So I only have about 50 friends, and probably only half of them post regularly.

Boredenough2bhere Fri 28-Oct-16 19:22:09

No longer on FB and don't miss it. Leaving was the best thing I ever did!

VintagePerfumista Fri 28-Oct-16 19:28:20

Why not just delete the people who are obviously not your real friends from your FB?

I like FB, keeps me in touch with my friends (all over the world, and from a zillion years ago)

If it was getting me down being on it, it'd be because one/some of my so-called friends were posting twattery, so I'd get rid. Facebook is what you put on it, in the end. Including the people you allow to interact with!

Perfectlypurple Fri 28-Oct-16 19:29:57

I deleted mine a few years ago. I don't miss it. I never really posted anyway and was just being nosy.

JustFoundADairyMilkCaramel Fri 28-Oct-16 19:34:04

<hi five to the non facebookers>

Stay classy

wellthatsjustgreat Fri 28-Oct-16 19:37:31

I deactivated my fb account a while back & now spend way too much time on mumsnet grin
I definitely feel much happier without it though.

ample Fri 28-Oct-16 19:51:56

I deleted and I don't miss it.

It was ideal for keeping on touch with friends and family around the world but it was the local people (school mums tbf) who I found hard work. Most of it is fake, if you're not competitive or boastful you can see it all the more clearer.

These days it feels good to bump into someone in the Village and genuinely ask how they are without already knowing the numerous places they had checked into the previous weekend
Ime if it works for you then great.
I'm happier without it and that works for me smile

modernladeee Fri 28-Oct-16 19:54:32

I wonder what the return to Facebook rate is though. I admire anyone who can successfully give it up. It's a force for evil and damaging to MH.

Smartleatherbag Fri 28-Oct-16 19:56:20

I'm a much better human being when I'm not in Facebook.

DanicaJones Fri 28-Oct-16 19:58:09

I deleted my account last January i think it was, after avoiding looking at it for about 6 months. Similar reasons to you really. It was starting to get to me and i didn't like how some mums at dd's school were on it. I didn't get involved though. One mum i think took offence that i left. I think she thought I'd blocked her personally or something. It was the right thing for me to do though and i still keep in contact with people i want to.

tictactoad Fri 28-Oct-16 20:09:53

Dabbled with a FB account once but never really got into it and deleted it years ago. It was giving me the heebies and that was before the privacy uproar which now seems to dog it.

I don't regret not having it. I'm sure it has its uses but the overwhelming impression I get is chaos and angst.

LastGirlOnTheLeft Fri 28-Oct-16 20:17:55

I've never been on Facebook or had an account. I have never been interested in other people's lives - only what they care to share with me as an individual person - and I definitely don't want people trying to find out stuff about me!!

My DH and I are rather reclusive and we like that. We would never ever be tempted to do Facebook.

Cheeseandbeansontoast Fri 02-Dec-16 07:06:48

Just deactivated mine for the first time.

I think (know) I was on it waaaay too much, and became addicted.

There, I said it, addicted.

I don't have a sad life or anything, I get out and about, but felt I was checking for likes on my statuses and that is sad.

I can catch up with family, friends and work colleagues in other ways.

OneManBucket Fri 02-Dec-16 07:11:03

I deactivated facebook when I was 21 and never looked back. I can't even see where I'd fit facebook into my life, or why I'd want to for that matter!

NiceFalafels Fri 02-Dec-16 07:13:48

Yes I've come off and it's 95% great but also means you miss out on 5% on important updates. I have let people know good friends and family know I'm not on FB. I did use to get the odd 'x happened, didn't you see my FB?' And I always say 'I'm not on FB. What happened?'

Kennington Fri 02-Dec-16 07:16:11

Have never been on facebook. I cringe a lot and just don't fancy it. I stay in touch via email and whatsapp.

Cheeseandbeansontoast Fri 02-Dec-16 07:54:27

I plan on telling family and close friends I'm not on it anymore.

I see colleagues 4 days a week, so I can catch up at work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now