Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody else "deactivate" for a while....because they need a break?

(19 Posts)
calibee Sat 21-May-16 20:54:59

Probably just me lol.
I have deactivated myself for a week or so as just occasionally the "look what I'm having for tea" posts and the somewhat "big myself up" posts encourage me to get typing a sarcastic response .
Now, I have never actually hit enter on one of these responses but in the lead up to deactivating I get closer and closer to doing so.... Hence its safer to get off.
My life is a little sad just now.... New baby, miles from friends and family, husband away with military. Maybe I'm just jealous blush

imwithspud Sun 22-May-16 09:30:44

I deactivated for a month last year. I was having a rough time and felt like fb wasn't helping. It was nice for the break and since going back to it I don't spend anywhere near as much time on it as I used to.

DiggersRest Sun 22-May-16 11:02:41

I think some times mat leave doesn't help. I am spending far too much time on FB and MN.

A dear friend wrote a post the other day and in it thanked her DP for his business allowing her to 'be a full time mummy'. I was so ridiculously close to writing something about that comment that I've had to step back. I don't want to lose a good friend because she thinks as a sahp she's a full time mum and wohp isn't even though she's most definitely wrong

calibee Sun 22-May-16 15:44:17

spud I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm determined to take less notice... Or even hide the worst offenders.
diggers that's exactly what I'm on about. I also have one or two friends (actually they're family members that I hardly know) who are selling the diet things and makeup. I'm finding the abs shots and the pictures of their shakes and daily capsules lined up, really rather tedious.
Maybe I'm just a jealous cow haha.

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 22-May-16 15:46:36

Just hide everything from people who consistently annoy you! It's not difficult.

NapoleonsNose Sun 22-May-16 15:55:15

I was pondering the same thing this morning. I have hidden some of the more annoying people, but I still find some people, including close family too much. Too much self-congratulatory shit or proper drama llamas. I think a break is in order.

calibee Sun 22-May-16 18:59:57

Napoleon" ... Agreed smile

calibee Sun 22-May-16 19:01:33

Bibbity ...fancy sharing how it's done on the phone app? You say it's not difficult, but it's not clear on my phone!

bluecoat08 Wed 22-Jun-16 16:44:38

i deleted about 6 weeks ago now - best decision i've made in a while!

Hayhay123 Sun 17-Jul-16 13:04:37

I do this all the time! For more or less the same reasons as you.
And when I do my friends can't understand why- as thought I must be crazy to deactivate.
I just get so pissed off with certain types of posts, example:
* checking in at A&E but not saying why
* sharing quotes about love/ alcohol/ death/ illness/ depression etc
* selfies that are clearly edited so much you look like a mannequin
* brags about your social life and how 'crazy' you are because you love wine too much
* pyramid schemes selling make up, diet pills, teeth whitener
* bragging about the 3rd holiday this year your boyfriend has just surprised you with
* bragging about your kids SAT results and how 'gifted' they are
* checking in at the gym
* photos of food or cocktails with a filter
I could go on for hours....

They really piss me off some days.

SoozeyHoozey Wed 20-Jul-16 19:50:09

I know someone who repeatedly deactivates and to be honest it actually makes her look like an attention seeking drama llama as the inevitable cries of "where you been hun?!!!" follow. You're making a public statement of your own by temporarily deactivating and reactivating. Why not just not log on or deactivate permanently?

I deactivate quite frequently, anything from 24 hours to a week at a time. If I want to get any work done at all I need to.

Hayhay123 Wed 20-Jul-16 20:07:20

Well I'm certainly no Facebook drama queen. I deactivate to stop me going on it. If I logged off and someone left me a message I wouldn't know it was there. So by deactivating the person will no to text me.
A drama queen would be updating statuses like "argh so annoyed" and not saying why for 3 hours. Or tagging in A&E and keeping quiet while everyone worries about you.

GaryGilmoresEyes Wed 20-Jul-16 20:10:16

I killed my profile 3 years ago. Best move ever! Himself followed a week later.

penguinplease Wed 20-Jul-16 21:35:05

I agree with Soozey, I have a few friends who deactivate and moan but reactivate constantly. It just makes them look attention seeking. Be on it or don't.
Sometimes I have a break and don't go near it but I don't need to deactivate to do that!

penguinplease Wed 20-Jul-16 21:36:00

Oh and anyone that annoys me is deleted, you don't have to put up with anyone that pisses you off!

Purpleheinz Wed 20-Jul-16 21:36:35

I'm on week 6 & it's the best thing I ever did.
No longer taking in other people's drama,
Can't get randomly mailed by anyone that feels like it.
Waste all my time prowling around mumsnet instead like...

99percentchocolate Wed 20-Jul-16 21:41:52

I'm having a break at the moment and feeling much better for it. I didn't realise how utterly crap it was making me feel about everything. Haven't deactivated it - just left. Will probably check back at some point but not right now.

rachel70j Mon 25-Jul-16 15:50:07

I've never deactivated my FB account. I actually never felt addicted to it, sure i spend like an hour(average, usually less) a day. But that's okay I think. I'm much more addicted to Instagram, tbh grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now