Talk

Advanced search

Can you check a Facebook account, and read any posts, without being on it yourself?

(13 Posts)
BreadmakerFan Tue 30-Jun-15 18:45:38

?

Shakey1500 Tue 30-Jun-15 18:47:28

Depends on that person's security settings. But yes, you can google the name and see if a FB account comes up? Is that what you mean?

BreadmakerFan Tue 30-Jun-15 19:03:38

I know they have an account. I want to see their posts without them knowing I have. It sounds like I am stalking but I'm not!

BakeItOff Tue 30-Jun-15 19:04:56

you'll only be able to see posts that they have made public. Some people do this, some people don't.

Shakey1500 Tue 30-Jun-15 19:42:41

I don't think anyone can tell if you've been "on" their page.

BreadmakerFan Tue 30-Jun-15 20:00:49

I'm pretty sure it comes up on friends you might know if you nosey at someone's page but if this is the same without an account I don't know.

gamerchick Tue 30-Jun-15 20:03:57

It depends on their security settings.

gamerchick Tue 30-Jun-15 20:04:24

And you can't look if you don't have an account

HagOtheNorth Tue 30-Jun-15 20:06:13

If it's a teen, for example, they can hide info, only let certain posts be visible to select audiences even if you are friends with them.
They can make their account unsearchable too.
If you aren't on FB, you can read whatever they have available to the general public and your name doesn't come up. They won't know.

MrsToddsShortcut Tue 30-Jun-15 20:06:22

If they've set their security settings to friends only, then you won't be able to read their posts.

Btw, although they don't get a message/klaxon alert if you've nosed on their page, you will probably turn up on their 'people you may know' feed. I know this because two people turned up on mine who I know, but who have absolutely no connection with anybody on my Facebook friends list. Therefore I can only conclude that they were nosying!

BreadmakerFan Tue 30-Jun-15 20:15:25

I don't have an account and wouldn't want them to know I've looked. Maybe it's better if I just don't look.

HagOtheNorth Tue 30-Jun-15 20:25:31

Why do you need to know? It does sound a bit stalkerish.

BreadmakerFan Tue 30-Jun-15 20:43:23

Actually I'm trying to keep someone safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now