Talk

Advanced search

Is Facebook bad for your mental health?

(16 Posts)
FiftyShadesofGreen Wed 24-Sep-14 22:38:45

I've read lots of pieces that state Facebook use is detrimental to mental health- some have said it causes depression, feelings of worthlessness and insecurity. That's aside from the usual privacy concerns and the mining of information for commercial use.

I know from personal experience, that I am susceptible to social comparisons and Facebook really does rub my nose in some of the apparently gloriously exciting lives my friends lead. Though I don't really internalise it too much. However recently, a friend from university has seen her career go stratospheric, and while most of me thinks 'good on her', another small part thinks 'stop fucking bragging on Facebook'. This is clearly not a healthy emotion!

As a result I have not logged on in six weeks and I am starting to enjoy life without it. I wasn't a heavy user- I'd log on every evening after DD went to sleep for a short while. Clearly it was affecting me more than I would like to admit.

So I would be really interested to hear what other people think on this subject, and if anyone got rid of Facebook and have found themselves mentally healthier as a result.

This is one such pop psych article: m.psychologytoday.com/blog/sex-murder-and-the-meaning-life/201404/7-ways-facebook-is-bad-your-mental-health

perfectserenity Thu 25-Sep-14 20:15:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

museumum Thu 25-Sep-14 20:20:35

I love Facebook. I only have people I like on there and I like hearing about their lives. I lived in London through my 20s and all my friends from then are scattered round the world now with families. I'd never get to see their photos or keep in touch beyond a Xmas card if it wasn't for fb. I also use it to meet up with local friends or get recommendations of good things to do or places to go so it improves my real life social life too.
I have honestly never felt bad about myself because of Facebook. I am not arrogant or perfect but I just don't get the whole idea of feeling down cause someone else posts a photo of something nice.

fredfredsausagehead1 Thu 25-Sep-14 20:39:40

It does t do me any good if I'm feeling weak, unstable or vulnerable

goshhhhhh Thu 25-Sep-14 21:00:16

It depends how you use it & who you have as friends. I only have real friend friends ( no acquaintances) & close family. I use it to keep in touch - esp with those far away

FiftyShadesofGreen Thu 25-Sep-14 21:07:43

fred I'm like that too. Is that because you're comparing your life unfavourably to your friends?

At the moment I'm really miserable in my job and going nowhere. But because I'm p/t it's not so easy to find something new on the same £. Therefore my friend doing so well was getting to me because she posts a lot about it and how amazing it is. This is a ridiculous feeling for a 34 year old woman to harbour, frankly!

I do see the benefits to Facebook but I think for some people it can get too much for them, especially if going through a difficult time and having low self esteem.

Mrwillywonkasbitch Tue 21-Oct-14 13:24:01

I've just got rid of Facebook it makes me depressed, I got rid of it for a month last time and I found who actually gave a shit about me. Stupidly I went back on and the depression and loneliness is back so bye bye facefuckers

Wineorcider Tue 21-Oct-14 22:20:36

Depends on who you allow as friends on it (bitter experience).
My mistake was to have work colleagues on it, as they are not/weren't my friends.

One of them bullied me for ages, then got one of her friends (ex colleague to us both) to do the same through messenger, knowing full well that at the time, my dh was undergoing an op for testicular cancer.

She got her friend to find out whether or not my dh really did have cancer !! shock Hurt and livid was how I felt, and blocked them both.
Allow only who you know and trust as friends sad
Then you should be ok smile

WestCoastGirl Sun 09-Oct-16 21:05:02

I know this is an old thread but I have been thinking about what OP mentioned. I am seeing all this stuff on Facebook where everyone seems to be out all the time having fun, going on holidays and looking lovely and its making me depressed and highlighting that I'm really quite lonely, old, frumpy and boring. I will have to stop looking at it and comparing.

microsnake Sun 09-Oct-16 21:08:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crystal15 Sun 09-Oct-16 21:12:26

It can cause depression as people only use it to share their happiness. Most people seldom share that they are feeling blue, anxious, fed up or having problems. So Facebook doesn't show an accurate reflection of real life. Once I recognised that I felt rather immune to the negativity from it

youvegottobekidding Mon 21-Nov-16 14:51:33

I came off Facebook around 7 mths ago, because my life is really not that exciting, not enough to report about everyday!!!! That reason & because I was fed up of all the 'braggers' - it was just 'Oh I had to drive the brand new 4x4 today as hubby took off early with brand Merc' - or the endless selfies of the same person, 100 shots, just a slightly different angle!

Not one person realised I'd come off it, not even my oldest & dearest best friend, not until I mentioned it in a text in conversation. FB, imo, for some people, is just a bragging platform, I could be a millionaire & I wouldn't be so stupid or shallow to post pictures of my lastest purchase.

Tanners1989 Sun 22-Jan-17 00:36:04

Yes it does! I gave mine up like three days ago now. Making me feel like a shit mum. Shit gf shit housewife. Worried my partner would cheat. Body insecurities the lot been so much better but as if I've had a come down from not having it! 😂😂

MommatoEth Wed 22-Mar-17 16:42:46

Old thread- but I haven't had facebook for around 3 years now. Only being 22 myself everyone is shocked but my life is so much happier. My DH still has his facebook so I do pop on there to keep up to date with family, can't see myself ever going back to Facebook. 🙌🏼

Snailfoot Fri 05-May-17 20:49:23

Just found this ... I love Facebook itself, its messenger I struggle will - read receipts when not getting responses, knowing when someone's online etc

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Fri 05-May-17 20:51:10

Quite the opposite.

I have depression, get tired, don't go out much and work weird hours.

FB is a good way to be social without actually having to be social.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now