Talk

Advanced search

Irish Dancing.

(5 Posts)
LynetteScavo Mon 29-Mar-10 22:00:09

DHs family are Irish, and so all the girls at some point have done Irish dancing.

The school DD goes to has Irish dance classes in the evenings. Some girls from her (reception) class go, and DD has asked if she can go too.

What is the best age to start? Would I be ruining her chance of becoming a professional River Dancer if she doesn't start untill she's 6?

I am shock & hmm at the thought of wigs.
I've heard horror stories of £1000 dresses.

What would I be letting myself in for?

expatinscotland Mon 29-Mar-10 22:04:17

DD1 started Highland dancing age 6. Her school has a terrific reputation here but they won't let them start until they are 6.

No wigs, though, for Highland dance, the girls just wear their hair up in a bun or a plait, and I know a kiltmaker in a small village who does a girl's dress for £200 no machine stitch, either.

DecorHate Mon 29-Mar-10 22:07:03

It's probably good exercise - most of the dances are quite fast. Like any sort of extra-curricular activity it is up to you and your child how far you take it. Lots of girls try dance classes of various sorts (eg ballet) and give it up after a couple of years.

I totally agree about the wigs btw but think they are a fairly recent thing. Don't remember them when I was young but I didn't exactly make it to Riverdance!

mantons2 Tue 25-Nov-14 11:30:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DeteValley Tue 25-Nov-14 12:23:39

Coincidentally I came on to ask an Irish dancing question, thoguht I won't hijack this thread. I see this is a zombie thread, but I'd love to know if the OP did find a class <nosy>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now