Talk

Advanced search

Is this ratio OK for an after school activity?

(9 Posts)
LynetteScavo Wed 23-Sep-09 12:12:32

DS started after school football at his school last week. When I collected him, there was one football coach and 16(ish) children.

All the kids were fine, and the coach was very good with the children, but am I right in thinking there should be 2 adults? There were always two adults when DS did after school football at his old school, but there were also more children.

southeastastra Wed 23-Sep-09 12:13:00

should be 1 to 8

LynetteScavo Wed 23-Sep-09 12:13:59

So do I bring it up with the school, or the football people who run the sessions?

southeastastra Wed 23-Sep-09 12:15:33

you could ask the school otherwise you would have to wait for the next session, perhaps he has someone but they let him down?

LynetteScavo Wed 23-Sep-09 12:18:27

Thanks, I hate looking like a fussy parent, though!

LynetteScavo Mon 28-Sep-09 09:52:00

I'm told (by school secretary) that the ration oof 1:16 is fine, and there are memebers of staff on site at that time of day, "just in case"

So I let DS go again ...he got a football in his eye, cried, and was put in goal, no first aid administered.

My gut feeling is not to let him go again next week, which will make him sad.

choccyp1g Mon 28-Sep-09 09:57:20

I'd say it's fine so long as another adult is available in an emergency. During school time, the whole class could be out on the field with one teacher.

choccyp1g Mon 28-Sep-09 09:58:51

Shame about the ball in the face though.

LynetteScavo Mon 28-Sep-09 11:55:23

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/Inform/cpsu/Resources/Briefings/GuidelinesOnStaffingRatios_wdf60642.pd

If you scroll down on that link, it sugests a ratio of 1:8.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now