Talk

Advanced search

"How easy is the clarinet?" asks a tone deaf mum.

(8 Posts)
missmem Mon 07-Sep-09 18:09:31

My son (8) has been trialling a few instrumentss at school and today he went to see the clarinet teacher as last week he was able to blow it. She sent him home with a letter saying that he is close to Grade 3 standard. shock Is the clarinet a really easy instrument and this is normal. He can read music but only learnt a little piano - not even G1 standard - and stopped because he hated it.

seeker Mon 07-Sep-09 18:15:43

I think that is extremely good. My dd did grade 3 clarinet after a year at about the same age, and that was considered pretty good. He's got a good head start if he can read music though, and if he is musical all the aural tests and things they have to do for grade3 would be very easy for him.

Wind instrument players often go straight to Grade 3, bypassing grades 1 and 2, so that's quite usual.

CatherineofMumbles Mon 07-Sep-09 18:17:07

Yes, edifying , but mine did too - go for it!

AuntieMaggie Mon 07-Sep-09 18:24:54

Go for it - the fingering for the clarinet is similar to the recorder so can be fairly easy to start on.

missmem Mon 07-Sep-09 18:30:42

Ok, so maybe my lads normal after all but I'll let him think he's a genius so he actually plays an instrument and doesn't quit! grin

weegiemum Mon 07-Sep-09 18:33:14

I'm impressed with an 8yo getting a note out of it first go!!!

seeker Mon 07-Sep-09 18:34:44

It's not "normal" it's really good!!!!

missmem Mon 07-Sep-09 18:37:02

Weegiemum, he brought it home and I cannot make a sound from it! envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now