Talk

Advanced search

Army or Air Cadets?

(6 Posts)
mummyrex Sun 02-Aug-09 14:19:46

Anyone have an experience of either or even both? DS would like to join one or the other having gotten rather bored with limited activities of Scouts.

cat64 Sun 02-Aug-09 14:31:34

Message withdrawn

plimple Sun 02-Aug-09 14:37:14

I loved army cadets. Sometimes the routine week nights were a bit dull, but the weekends away we had and camp and going to Germany and doing Nijmegan marches more than made up for it.
I do remember once patrolling a field with a gun and thinking "Ooh, this is what soldiers do, it's like I'm being trained for the army" then I thought "who cares, I'm not going to join the army, but I like imagining there are enemy in the bushes!"
It is where I first learnt to smoke and drink though...
My nephews tell me it's not like that anymore, but they still love it.

plimple Sun 02-Aug-09 14:38:51

by "ooh", I mean, oh dear!

mummyrex Mon 03-Aug-09 15:07:03

good advice and thanks for your input.

notagrannyyet Tue 04-Aug-09 20:12:43

All 5 of my sons started at beavers and continued through cubs and scouts. Two wanted more than our troop could offer so switched to the Air Training Corps. I still help with the cubs so I think I may have been looked upon as a deserter. One scout leader even said the cadets were only interested in recruiting for the armed services. I never found this to be the case.

DS1 was in the ATC from 13 to 17. DS4 is in ATC now. They do the same as scouts but more IYSWIM. They do lots more camps, go gliding/flying(if they want to), D of E, shooting, etc.

They also do lots of drill, polish drill shoes, iron shirts, press trousers and visit the barbers more often than most!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now