Talk

Advanced search

Questions about Brownie uniform

(23 Posts)
lljkk Thu 14-May-09 18:45:10

If DD does go to camp for 6 days this summer...

How many sets of uniform does she need? Do they launder every night so could she get away with just one set of clothes are does she need several outfits? There are some good deals on Ebay, but how many does she need?

And sizing... Do the clothes tend to come up large or small for the measurements given? I'm going by the guidelines on Rival Dancewear.

TIA.

ramonaquimby Thu 14-May-09 18:46:38

do they need to wear their uniform for camping? that would be odd

ramonaquimby Thu 14-May-09 18:46:38

do they need to wear their uniform for camping? that would be odd

Aimsmum Thu 14-May-09 18:48:37

Message withdrawn

lljkk Thu 14-May-09 18:54:32

Ah, see things I needed to learn! Can't get Brown Owl on the phone.
Thanks so much for replies.

lljkk Thu 14-May-09 18:59:47

Oh, but what about sizing? Oh dear. If DD is still in size 5-6yo trousers (and they are slightly small on her) does it make sense to think she'd need the smallest trousers Brownies do, size 20"?

And tops she's more like size 6-7, so I suppose maybe chest size 24"-26" -- sound about right?

Aimsmum Thu 14-May-09 19:03:04

Message withdrawn

scienceteacher Thu 14-May-09 19:07:42

You would only expect them to have one set of official uniform, and then their other clothes to be in Guiding colours, if possible. You wouldn't be expected to spend a lot of money.

You would not expect things to be washed during the week, so you need to send enough clothes for that time. Obviously, you will send a daily change of undies, but beyond that they can wear their clothes for more than one day. One of the skills they will learn is how to manage their clothes to keep them wearable for longer (eg put wet clothes on an airer to dry, and to wear their dirtiest clothes for mucky activities).

Your DD is unlikely to wash herself unless they go swimming - hygiene is a pretty low priority on camp. The best thing you can do is make sure your washing machine is empty and ready to go for when she returns.

You should be given a kit list at the parents' meeting.

MrsWeasley Sun 17-May-09 15:13:29

Ours guides need to wear uniform for a uniformed camp. If they only have one uniform they ask that they wear clothing in colours similar to the uniform (blue).

Worth checking with the guiders as they know the sort of ctivities the girls will be doing.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 19-May-09 10:28:48

I'm a Brown Owl.

Our holidays are usually long weekends, so don't require much kit. We tell the Brownies to bring as much as they have (most have one t-shirt, leggings or trousers and a hoodie). We have a supply of camp uniform which belongs to the pack and which we lend out. Most packs do, so check this with Brown Owl. Packs do differ in whether they permit the Brownies to wear non-uniform things at camp -some units (and some parents) don't like it as it may mean that home clothes are covered in mud and/or paint.

I'm sure your Brown Owl will not be expecting to launder, what, 25 uniforms overnight every night!

skramble Wed 20-May-09 00:02:48

"Launder every night" sorry but grin, not a chance, will come home with a bag of wet manky clothes and your child will honk too.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Wed 20-May-09 00:11:34

Don't beat about the bush, skramble. Tell us what you really mean!

skramble Wed 20-May-09 00:13:27

???

skramble Wed 20-May-09 00:21:57

Hope that wasn't taken as offensive, not intended. It can be funny what people expect to happen at camps and pack holidays, but not being nasty, I know some people may never have experienced it themselves and be totally clueless.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Wed 20-May-09 12:52:43

It didn't come across as offensive to me - it made me laugh out loud (especially the bit about the honking child)!

You're absolutely right. Most of my Brownies' mums weren't Brownies themselves and I think imagine that camp facilities are much more lavish than they are. We have one domestic washing machine which we use in emergencies but it certainly couldn't cope with washing everybody's clothes every night. And nor could the leaders!

skramble Wed 20-May-09 13:20:17

Sorry took that to seriously grin, too much crap on the boards from other silly people, think it was getting to me last night.

Our brownies parents had packed so many clothes that the brownies looked pretty clean most of the time, but all took huge bags of dirty clothes home.

We made them all brush their teeth but that was about as much as we could expect.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Wed 20-May-09 13:31:45

Perhaps I should apologise for not making it obvious that I was pulling your leg (in a supportive Guider-to-Guider we're-all-in-this-together way grin). I forget sometimes that what's in my mind as I post something isn't obvious to anyone reading it. Sorry.

skramble Wed 20-May-09 14:27:09

Ah if I had realised you were a guider too I would have known as they are all sarcastic buggers.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Wed 20-May-09 14:43:06

Oh dear - hoist by my own petard! Sorry if I came across as rude. (We met on the Guiders dancing round the toadstool thread, BTW).

<<Spend too much time on MN emoticon>>

skramble Fri 22-May-09 00:41:34

That thread died off, obviously us leaders are all far too busy wink

lljkk Thu 11-Jun-09 19:25:38

I just thought I'd let you all know that you were all wrong -- but then, so was I.
It turns out that they go off with no clothes at all (okay, they wear Brownie uniform on the day the leave and the day they return, but that's it). Everything else clothing wise is provided by the venue! I guess that's easier than sorting thru whose clothes are whose at the end of the week.

Must just be our Brownies that do camp like that.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Mon 15-Jun-09 12:19:17

Aha! Were they going to a PGL-type organised holiday? I thought we were talking about staying in a glorified hut with very basic facilities, which is what we do on Brownie holiday!

Anyway, did she have a lovely time? smile

lljkk Mon 15-Jun-09 18:08:11

Oh she hasn't gone yet, I just learnt about the no-need-4-clothes-thing from another parent.
PGL is what? Seems to be the standard August canoing/outdoor activity week away for them, anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now