Talk

Advanced search

Rugby for 2 year old?

(17 Posts)
babybarrister Mon 26-Jan-09 21:04:21

Has anyone tried any classes?! [DH very keen for DS to try ....] There are rugbytots classes nearby - what are they like?

ScummyMummy Mon 26-Jan-09 21:05:40

really?! for 2 year olds?

FromGirders Mon 26-Jan-09 21:05:45

Please don't, until your ds can competently differentiate between "the opposition" and "any other child who is within reach".
I have had experience of this.

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 26-Jan-09 21:08:06

Most rugby clubs will only take children at 5 and then it is touch rugby not contact.

babybarrister Wed 28-Jan-09 18:01:32

good point re DS ability to differentiate between playing rugby and hitting people in general - particularly as I am the mother in the playground who is continually apologising .....!

PortAndLemon Wed 28-Jan-09 18:11:54

RugbyTots is NOTHING LIKE MINI-RUGBY!!!

The 3.5-5yo class covers throwing (sideways and overhead), kicking (drop kicking and from floor) and running. No "opposition" and no game as such -- the emphasis is on picking up core skills in a fun and sociable environment.

I've only ever caught the end of the 2-3.5yo class, but it seems to be similar but with foam balls instead and with simpler tasks to focus on.

How good the classes are does depend very much on the leader -- it's down to personality and how well they enthuse the children IMO and IME.

PortAndLemon Wed 28-Jan-09 18:14:27

I think they've been very good for DS, by the way -- gives him a structured physical activity, practice in listening and doing as he's told, and his ball skills have definitely improved.

CrushWithEyeliner Wed 28-Jan-09 18:15:57

oh no way I have heard it all

blametheparents Wed 28-Jan-09 18:17:47

Like most of these things, it is almost entirly down to how good the coach is.

DH coaches and DS plays mini rugby (U7s and U8s).
DH does not like to take children any younger than 6 because he is supposed to be trying to teach them mini rugby.
Emphasis is on throwing, catching and running the gall.
Absoutely no contact and no kicking the ball at this age.

Rugbytots sounds very different,.

ramonaquimby Wed 28-Jan-09 18:23:20

I think any classes for kids this age is silly, and more for the benefit of the parent

ruggermum Fri 30-Jan-09 10:46:08

There was an article in the Nov08 edition of Rugby World about a similar outfit (Ruggerbugs). Those involved (organisers, parents) were enthusiastic whereas the RFU are "reluctant to affiliate any club incorporating kids under seven. It is a late development sport."

As P&L said, it's got to depend on the individual leader of each group. But it's good for kids to see a group lead by men for a change.

MollieO Mon 02-Feb-09 12:01:57

It sounds like Little Kickers but for rugby. My ds does rugby skills at school (he's 4) which seem to consist of running, throwing the ball etc. He will start tag rugby at school in year 2.

SnowDragon Mon 02-Feb-09 12:03:36

Waste of money - get your DH to take your son to the park with a ball.

twentypence Sun 15-Feb-09 07:54:30

If he had an older brother and was massively keen - then okay.

If your dh wants to be involved in rugby then send him!

PortAndLemon Sun 15-Feb-09 08:30:42

My DH is 4500 miles away, which limits his ability to take DS to the park with a ball.

JeneferBarnes1 Sun 15-Mar-09 06:56:43

Snow Dragon. I'm sorry but I think your waste of money comment is plain silly. You'll not get the real benefits of team sport if her DH takes her son to the park with a ball.

DorotheaPlenticlew Tue 23-Jun-09 09:00:11

My understanding is it's really just a play session with a bit more structure than normal -- not actual rugby! (I'm not keen on rugby...)

I've just signed DS up for the autumn class, anyway, & have cautiously high hopes for it -- anything to feed his enthusiasm for fun & varied physical activity. He's a very big boy, taking after my physique I think, so we are keen to encourage him to enjoy anything that adds to the basic playpark/soft play/swimming he does with us regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now