Talk

Advanced search

What do I need to take my 5 month old DS swimming?

(11 Posts)
SamJohnsMum Mon 03-Nov-08 12:55:08

Next monday we start parent/baby swimming lessons (am VERY excited) but don't know what's best in terms of swimming trunks/ swimming nappies etc for little boys.

My DS is quite small for 5 months really - he only weighs 12lb 14oz.

Any recommendations?

ExtraFancy Mon 03-Nov-08 12:57:48

We used Huggies swim nappies when my DS was that little. I tried a Kushies reusable swim nappy once, but he peed everywhere before I'd even got him into the pool, so I gave up on that pretty quick wink

Macdog Mon 03-Nov-08 13:01:25

Huggies swim nappies are really good.

You don't really need a swimsuit at that age, but I found that the wetsuit style stopped dd scratching her skin in the water (and keeps her a bit warmer ahen she comes out)

have fun!!

SamJohnsMum Mon 03-Nov-08 13:11:12

So, if I buy one of those baby wetsuits from somewhere like jojomamanbebe, can I put the Huggies little swimmers underneath?

krugerparkrules Mon 03-Nov-08 13:11:54

i used the mothercare swimnappy which was great .... (greenbaby do one as well but i think they are quite big) look on ebay you will pick up one really cheaply as they are hardly used before they move up another size!
I used to put my swimming costume on before we went under my clothes, so i just had dd to change and made this quicker. TAke two towels so you can wrap up your ds and have one for youself (unless you are like me and take one tell, and then stand dripping!)
EAsy clothes to get on and off ds make your life easier!
Its such good fun swimming at this age, i loved it, also dd slept so well after swimming, and extra bonus!
My friend used to take some nice cream/massage oil and rub her little dd afterwards, i always forgot but its a great way to protect their skin as the water can dry it a little
enjoy

GunpowderTreasonAndLemon Mon 03-Nov-08 13:15:01

Many pools now want a (disposable or reusable) swim nappy and then another layer on top to sort of "double bag" them.

We put DD in a swim nappy, then a Happy Nappy on top.

We also use a Baby Wrap neoprene layer on top of that to keep her warm, but whether that would be useul depends on the pool temperature and how long you're staying in.

Gmakes3 Mon 03-Nov-08 13:47:13

I'd go with GunpowderTreasonAndLemon's suggestion. I did the same and was glad as some babies react differently to the water temp. Some in our class had a blue tinge when they came out when not wearing a wrap. DD was always toasty when we'd finished. Got mine from here www.swimbabes.co.uk

CuppaTeaJanice Mon 03-Nov-08 13:51:19

A reusable swim nappy with an all-in-one swimsuit on top, as it was a bit cold. Easier to hold onto, too, when they get a bit slippery and wet.

Oh, and make sure you wear something substantial, too - ds kept pulling at my bikini top and nearly gave everybody an eyeful!!blush

SamJohnsMum Mon 03-Nov-08 14:31:45

Thanks so much - this has been very helpful!

I'm very excited now!

SamJohnsMum Mon 03-Nov-08 14:37:46

Aaagh - I want to use disposable swimming nappies, but Huggies little swimmers start at 16lbs and DS isn't even 13lbs yet!!

Any suggestions?!

knickerelasticjones Mon 03-Nov-08 14:41:27

hi there - I wouldn't worry too much about the sizing on the huggies nappy. If you put a happy nappy (which some of the above posters have recommended) on top it should stop any leaks.

If you get the correct size of happy nappy - I think they start from extra small - it should fit quite snuggly. I've had both my DDs in a double layer - disposables and happy nappys - since we started swimming. Works well I've never had an ahem accident......

Enjoy the swimming - both my DDs have gone swimming from about 3 months and loved it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now