Talk

Advanced search

DS2 first ever swimming lesson. WTF??????

(35 Posts)
KerryMum Mon 29-Sep-08 19:49:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KerryMum Mon 29-Sep-08 20:53:18

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 29-Sep-08 20:54:40

Normal for Kerry, maybe?
No, a somewhat outdated, shall we say, method of instruction IME.

Mutt Mon 29-Sep-08 20:57:29

slayerette Mon 29-Sep-08 20:58:19

No, not normal. DS had been having lessons for about a year before they got to the jumping in stage. You need a new teacher.

OhWellNeverMind Mon 29-Sep-08 20:58:59

DTDs teacher went about half as far and it shocked us. poor DS. She was an old biddy (well not quite that old but at least twice the age of the nextyoungest instructor and probably 3 times the age of most). Obviously old school

She spent 15m trying to teach them, getting no-where (I was going to say nowhere fast but TBH they got no-where at all).

Then we changed instructors...the next one was FAB. Had them swimming within a term.

Give her a couple of weeks, maybe. Change instructors next term if you can if you don't feel that her methods suit your DS.

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 29-Sep-08 21:14:34

ds1 had his first swimming lesson last week - he is 3.5 you don't say how old your child is?
I had a wonderful half hour watching him and 3 others the same age with arm floats, a woggle each and the teacher teasing them in such a funny way so that they hardly notice that its actually a swimming lesson just a fun time in the water.
So I would say no, what you experienced doesn't seem normal round here!

(can I just mention that the teacher said ds is a natural in the water smile[proud mummy emoticon])

TheDuchessOfNork Mon 29-Sep-08 21:15:39

Our 'non-swimmers' class starts with learning how to climb up, turn round, and come down the steps into the water. There are maximum of 10 children in the class, 2 assistants in the water (1-1 for special needs) and the instructor on dry land. They then do things like walk across the width of the pool, jump across like kangaroos, walk backwards and then dip their faces to blow bubbles. It's all fun & games style.

They then move onto kicking their legs whilst having a float under each arm. And by 3rd or 4th lesson they learn to sit on edge of pool and lower themselves into the water. And so it progresses. They move up to the 'beginners' class when they can put their face in the water and kick with arms stretched out in front of them for about 5 metres. This follows the Amateur Swimming Association curriculum.

Your swimming teacher is not suitable.

KerryMum Mon 29-Sep-08 21:38:02

KerryMum Mon 29-Sep-08 21:40:31

HonoriaGlossop Mon 29-Sep-08 21:44:10

Have you booked a course? Or is it pay as you go each week?

KerryMum Mon 29-Sep-08 21:49:49

HonoriaGlossop Mon 29-Sep-08 21:51:33

If he's not bothered hopefully it will be alright next time! At least it's not a whole term, if you decide she's too awful to go on with.

IllegallyBrunette Mon 29-Sep-08 21:57:15

The teacher ds had last term, actually got out of the water, picked up and jumped in with 2 children who refused to jump shock.

Funnily enough she appears to no longer be there.

frecklyspeckly Mon 29-Sep-08 21:59:43

kerrymum hold on to the fact he loved the class, can completely understand how you felt though. Today will probably stand out as a memory for you both for years to come!

Twiglett Mon 29-Sep-08 21:59:48

she asked him to jump, she didn't push him

he jumped with great confidence

he was under water and she scooped him out

he didn't drown

he really enjoyed it and wasn't put off

do you think maybe she might have known what she was doing?

KerryMum Mon 29-Sep-08 22:03:14

KerryMum Tue 30-Sep-08 10:47:37

MadamePlatypus Tue 30-Sep-08 10:55:52

Sounds a bit odd to me. We did aquatots/baby swimming, so don't have persona experience of other teaching methods. However, we go swimming regularly at the local pool and they all seem to start off with woggles.

I would be asking the teacher (in a non-confrontational way) more about her teaching methods and how she got children swimming. Maybe she just wanted to establish what level the children were at. However, there must be more to her method than asking the children to swim to the other side - I mean you could do that for the price of your entrance ticket!

anyoneelse Tue 30-Sep-08 11:18:36

Can I just establish - was he jumping in out of his depth? At our centre a six year old would be able to stand in the teaching pool. And I would be pointing this out to my child to reassure him that he can always stand up and therefore not drown. On this basis I suppose it would not be unreasonable to be asked to jump in.

If he was out of his depth though without floats on what was known to be his first time in the water and asked to jump in and swim I would be horrified and would not hesitate to speak to the teacher about it - depending on the response I might even take it further.

Oblomov Tue 30-Sep-08 11:20:28

Not sure.
Ds(4.8) had his first swimming lesson last week. Our are very similar to DucheessNork - learn how to go down steps into pool. Whipped off his own swimming vest within minutes and was just splashing around.

So long as he was not frightened, I suppose there is not an issue here.

KerryMum Tue 30-Sep-08 11:23:05

bamboostalks Tue 30-Sep-08 11:24:27

6 is quite late to start swimming imo. Why didn't you get himm going earlier, then he would have no fear? Take him lots yourself to back up the lessons.

anyoneelse Tue 30-Sep-08 11:28:08

Okay well it wasnt ideal I agree but if he could stand I would talk to him about it for the future and explain that if he gets into any difficulties he can just stand up and he should always do that etc. I guess as I said above, on that basis I would put it down to experience. I hope the lessons improve!

KerryMum Tue 30-Sep-08 11:34:44

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now