Talk

Advanced search

School Matches versus Extra Curricular Activites - what is the norm/best

(7 Posts)
surreylady Fri 19-Sep-08 19:42:03

My DS 9 does one afterschool activity (school based one that is)- which he has done for a couple of years and costs a lot per term. You have to sign up and pay at the end of the previous term. We have done this and now find that this activity (which is for his year group)clashes with the games afternoon and therefore with Inter school Matchs this was only made known long after booking and paying- he is not a serious sports person (C team usually occassional B teamer). The away matches mean that if he plays in the C team he misses the activity. I have asked the school how this is normally handled but he thinks no play no team so feels penalised if he does not miss his activity. Is this the norm and if so how did/do you handle it Thanks

surreylady Fri 19-Sep-08 21:41:57

Bumping for the Friday night crew

surreylady Sat 20-Sep-08 11:06:21

Any one else? Thanks

Soapbox Sat 20-Sep-08 11:09:53

School matches always take precedence here - playing for the school is seen as an honour not to be taken lightlygrin

surreylady Sat 20-Sep-08 11:50:05

Thanks Soapbox - he is not really sporty TBH would this still apply if he was selected in the c (ie third team)? Also if you dont mind do your school schedule their afterschool clubs (for the year group) to clash with their sports fixtures - I dont know why they have done this as it makes no sense to me but wondered if it was common.

Soapbox Sat 20-Sep-08 18:07:29

TBh, I think it probably matters even more if he is in the C team, as the matches are likely to be far less frequent and the boys do all go on about the results!

I don't mind the after school stuff being mucked around - most of it is just fun stuff, so as long as they enjoy the sports matches and still having fun, I can't see that it really matters.

surreylady Sat 20-Sep-08 18:09:16

Thanks - I guess it is the £140 per term I have just paid for the activity that the school then schedules at the same time as matches that irks me somewhat - but I think that you are correct - Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now