Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody else find the cost of Ballet lessons just crippling? The subs, the kit, the shoes, then the shows, the costumes, the exams...

(30 Posts)
emkana Wed 17-Sep-08 20:34:08

... it's ridiculous really.

I want the dd's to stop, dh says let them carry on if they want to do it.

Anna8888 Wed 17-Sep-08 20:36:06

How much are you paying?

We are about to fork out about 600 euros for the year (one hour a week) and I think it is outrageous. But DD gets no proper sport at school, just running around in a park, so I think she needs some structured exercise.

emkana Wed 17-Sep-08 20:41:11

Dd1 does ballet and tap, dd2 does ballet. For the two of them I pay £145 every 10 weeks shock in subs, all the other costs are extra.

roisin Wed 17-Sep-08 20:55:06

OMG shock
That's extortionate. I would get them to stop immediately and plan a fab holiday next summer with all the money you've saved.

Do they absolutely adore going? Are either of them precociously talented and likely to be the next prima ballerina at Covent Garden?

If not, stop now!

Soapbox Wed 17-Sep-08 21:01:15

Just to warn you, it gets more expensive the longer they are there!

DD now has ordinary lessons and then exam classes on top - we pay £88 in total for 4 weeks.

On top of that there is the exam entrance fees - roughly £20 a pop and she is sitting 3 in the next sitting. Then there is new (high definition) tap shoes which she needs - £45 on top of the on-going uniform requirements.

This year's show cost about £150 for costumes and around £60 for tickets.

It is an expensive hobby to fund!

emkana Wed 17-Sep-08 23:05:41

shock
shock

Fimbo Wed 17-Sep-08 23:10:39

My dd does ballet & tap, which costs £2.20 a lesson each. We have to pay termly in advance.

I got off lightly this year for the dance show as we only needed to buy one costume, which cost £20. But have been upwards of £50 for previous shows. Plus tickets etc. We also have to chaperone at rehersals and on show day itself which can be a pita.

I have also just paid for new ballet shoes (£7.75) and leggings (£10.50).

She has just moved up a class so hopefully no exams this year!

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 17-Sep-08 23:16:54

£3 per hour here. ballet is once a week. dance leotards are £7 and last for ages. tights £5 per pair and last untill i deem them too dirty <how do you get them to go white again anyway?> shoes £7 at local dance wear shop £5 from dance direct. used to last for a long time but she actually grows now so a new pair every three months i guess?

exam fees £15 every 6 months.

shoes - x mas show probably £100 - £150 per year.

yes i find it crippling but dd1 loves her dancing and would be heartbroken if i pulled her out. im looking for p/t work mainly to help fund dd1s obbsession with after school activities. <i was a deprived child and never got to do any sad>

LynetteScavo Wed 17-Sep-08 23:23:24

I would like DD to do ballet & tap, but cant' be bothered with gettting into the whole show thing. Is it avoidable?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 17-Sep-08 23:28:57

yes and no at our school you can opt out of the x mas play but they spend months before hand practsining in normal class times so your dd may get bored/feel left out.

comps etc are done in 'special classes' so are easily avoidable/ dd1 is starting with those again after x mas.

StellaDallas Wed 17-Sep-08 23:41:17

Our classes are very reasonable at £2.50-£3.50 per time, depending on grade - I pay about £200 per term (12 weeks) for 8 classes a week (I have 3 dancing DDs). Show is every second year - about £40 per child for costumes and exams cost about £50 a time (but it is not a pushy school so they only do exams as and when she thinks they are really ready (other local schools seem to obsess about pushing them up the grades).

Anna8888 Thu 18-Sep-08 08:59:57

The shows are a large part of the benefit of it all IMO. I did lots of shows (ballet and theatre) when I was little and they are great for building self-confidence in front of an audience while having loads of fun.

Buda Thu 18-Sep-08 09:02:35

Anyone's DD do dancing in Chester?

AtheneNoctua Thu 18-Sep-08 12:29:31

I find the prices a bit steep too. But, like Anna, I think structured excercise is good for DD. She strted with ballet at age 2. She is now 5 and in year 1 and now does three classes which run back to back on Fridays. (Ballet, then Modern, then Tap). I spent £120 for the classes including a mutil class sign up discount. I spent £75 on clothes and shoes. Then last week I got note asking for another £40 for a modern Dance exam. So, that's £235 I have forked over for this term... and there may be another bit for the Chritmas show will no doubt come with a pricey little costume she will only wear once.

Good grief, I never realise that tennis at the private club is actually cheaper. shock

I should add that my DD is clever, but has a problem with a very short attention span. So we persist with ballet and dance because we think she needs to learn disciplin and focus and that will help her with school. I hope!!

janinlondon Thu 18-Sep-08 12:47:30

I don't think the price you are paying for lessons is extortionate by comparison - its more or less what we pay too. I would expect a recognized structured syllabus with good exam level progression, but I think its a reasonable price.

tissy Thu 18-Sep-08 12:55:54

My dd(6)does ballet(45 mins) and jazz and tap(45 mins for both together), and we pay £50ish for an 8 week term. Leotard/ skirt and tights last 2 years if you buy them generously sized. The major expense is shoes ballet about £12 (though I must try dance direct next time), jazz about £15 and tap about £20. We pay nothing for show costumes, except a pair of tights for a couple of quid. Tickets are no more than a fiver. Dd is doing class exams this term, which are much cheaper than individual exams, and they all get a certificate and medal, however well they perform!

madmummy4 Sun 21-Sep-08 09:44:17

I don't even wat to start adding up how much it costs me, think I would be sick! My daughter dies ballet,disco, latin,stage and started tap two weeks ago.Must be mad!It must be quite a bit though as I just completed my second loyalty card in our local dance shop and got a vip card with discounts forever!!
But the lessons are @£3 a go.Then there are exams twice a year and two shows!!! I don't do pocket money needless to say!

WouldYouCouldYouWithAGoat Sun 21-Sep-08 09:45:53

i was so happy when dd decided ballet was dull.

QOD Sun 21-Sep-08 09:57:05

£150 a term for tap modern & ballet - 3 x 45 min lessons a week

£42 a pop for exams - she is only doing 1 and just moving into grade 3 for the other 2 disciplines - I can't afford it right on Xmas

Mardi Gras competition in Nov - £60 entry plus around £80 to get there!

She has tap shoes, jazz shoes, split sole sneakers, ballet shoes & character shoes....
2 x leotards
2 x tights
2 x leg warmers
Character skirt
wrap around cardi
jazz cardi

Shows are every 18mths or so - £60 for cossies

She also does jazz at a smaller school - disco rather than the formal sort - £40 a term - can wear anything.

She has also sucessfully auditioned for the town Panto which costs me £20 in costumes

Dance summer school - £100

twitch

SHe is a dancing queen though, it's her "thing" - some of her friends ride (1 has her own pony), some of them are sporty (hockey/football), 1 sings (town choir)
My dd is the dancing queen

QOD Sun 21-Sep-08 09:57:43

I should add she is 9, yr5 and in gracde 3 for tap & about togo into 3 for ballet & modern

SmugColditz Sun 21-Sep-08 10:03:40

Send her to football. One pound a week and as much washing as you can handle.

QOD Sun 21-Sep-08 10:04:46

LO smug - my dd is a girly girl - she went to watch football once - and joined in - for 1 kick.
She is one of those "but the boys get all sweaty" types.......

madmummy4 Sun 21-Sep-08 10:05:41

I am trying to work it out now
5 lessons at £3 each =£15 per week
The last exams cost me nearly £50 and that was for only 4 she does 5 now.Then there were extra lessons before £30
clothes
ballet leotard, socks, ballet shoes, belt
disco - unitard
Stage- red leotard and red ballet shoes and socks
tap same leotard as stage, thank heavens,and tap shoes
latin-latin dress and latin shoes
then there is all the individual hair accessories to match each outfit and the dance bag
yikes! No wonder I am always skint!

SmugColditz Sun 21-Sep-08 10:11:17

There is a little doll of a girl who goes to football and her mother (also looks like a little wee dolly) cheers from the sidelines. AShe is easily the smallest and best player!

get her into cross-stitch and make her jog on the spot while she does it!

pointydog Sun 21-Sep-08 10:16:44

But what do your dds want to do?

Do they do other activities too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now