Talk

Advanced search

For those of you who pay for private music tuition, do you think this is a reasonable cancellation policy?

(33 Posts)
twofalls Tue 02-Sep-08 14:25:01

DD is a guitar teacher. His cancellation policy currently states 7 days notice for cancellation. However, it is fraught with angst and confusion because people have all sort of reasons and excuses for cancelling with or without noitce and he always ends up in a discussion with people about whether 4 days notice is enough for one thing or another and will he give them a replacement slot.

I have suggested that he changes his policy to say that all cancellations must be paid for but if he manages to rebook the slot, regardless of the notice period he will offer a replacement. If he cannot rebook the slot, then it has be be paid for.

For those of you who pay for private tuition - do you think that is reasonable? I obviously do grin.

twofalls Tue 02-Sep-08 14:25:21

sorry, that should obviously say DH

cornsilk Tue 02-Sep-08 14:27:09

yes. We pay 10 weeks in advance and if we miss any it's tough.

JudgeNutmeg Tue 02-Sep-08 14:28:30

We have to give a terms notice. Most people sort out music lessons at the start of term, if someone bails after a few lessons, the teacher is left with a vacant slot and no income from that slot until the next term.

Your dh sounds like a musician, not a businessman. grin

twofalls Tue 02-Sep-08 14:28:53

Is that for one to one cornsilk?

zippitippitoes Tue 02-Sep-08 14:30:07

we just paid termly whjether you went or not

and had to give a terms notice for cancelling the contract

so if you misssed classes just tough

twofalls Tue 02-Sep-08 14:31:19

lol judgenutmeg, he is too nice!

He teaches adults too and is not connected to a school which he doesn't book on a termly basis. Perhaps he should.

zippitippitoes Tue 02-Sep-08 14:32:41

termly in advance

or batches of ten/twelve lessons in advance

Katw3kitts Tue 02-Sep-08 14:32:57

I think he is being more than reasonable.

Your suggestion is good.

We also have to give a terms notice. Any missed by us are just 'lost' any cancelled by the teacher are rearranged.

Its all written down and agreed in the contract we sign each term.

coppertop Tue 02-Sep-08 14:35:15

Ours has to be paid at the beginning of each half-term. If you miss a lesson then it's tough luck basically. The only exception is when it's the teacher who has to cancel the lesson, in which case you get the money from that lesson deducted from the following half-term's bill.

Your suggested policy sounds more than reasonable.

twofalls Tue 02-Sep-08 14:38:03

mmm, I think he needs a contract. He does take block bookings of 10 and offers a discount for the block booking, but people still try to change things around and the admin is a nightmare. He also teaches a lot of adults who book anywhere between 1 and 10 at a time.

This reaction is encouraging smile

nailpolish Tue 02-Sep-08 14:38:19

we pay at the start of each school term and if we miss it, no money back. Fine with me.

twofalls Tue 02-Sep-08 14:39:54

Are all these "if you miss one its tough" for one to one lessons or group? I only ask because you obviously loose a lot more money if its one to one because its more expensive than if you share the lesson.

nailpolish Tue 02-Sep-08 14:41:27

in our case its one teacher to two children

Katw3kitts Tue 02-Sep-08 14:41:58

I'm talking about DD (11) school music lessons. They are 1 on 1.

cornsilk Tue 02-Sep-08 14:46:02

Two falls ours is group tuition.

Guadalupe Tue 02-Sep-08 14:48:18

Ds's guitar teacher only requires 24 hours notice but I think this is exceptionally reasonable. I expected to pay termly regardless of cancelling like most other lessons.

twofalls Tue 02-Sep-08 14:54:09

Guadalupe, DH used to only ask for that but it was becoming unmanageable. One week he had 12 cancellations - I was on maternity leave so we were living on jacket potatoes that week grin.

Guadalupe Tue 02-Sep-08 14:56:51

12?? Bloody hell. I do think he's mad but perhaps people don't tend to cancel.

Jux Tue 02-Sep-08 14:56:56

DH has been teaching guitar for over 30 years. His cancellation policy is 24 hours - that gives him time to fill the spot, or rearrange other things etc. Less than that, full payment is expected. I think a week's notice is really a bit much to expect.

twofalls Tue 02-Sep-08 14:59:57

I know, it was a bit extreme!

Jux, does he always manage to fill the slot within 24 hours and isn't the admin a bit of an nightmare? Just out of interest do you think my proposal is unreasonable then - ie, if it gets rebooked you have a replacement, if it doesn't then you pay?

twofalls Tue 02-Sep-08 15:01:35

Also, is teaching his only source of revenue or does he do other things to earn money so lack of attendance isn't that big a deal?

tortoiseshell Tue 02-Sep-08 15:02:49

I'm a bit lenient on this - I always charge at the end of the term, and as I teach at home, if someone can't make it I just have an extra cup of tea!

My reason for this is it is simplest, and also if I'm flexible about people cancelling it means that if my kids are ill (which they're normally not!), my pupils (or rather their parents) are flexible too!

tortoiseshell Tue 02-Sep-08 15:03:31

(Am not a guitar teacher btw, piano, and isn't sole source of income for family , as dh brings home main income, so can afford to be flexible).

twofalls Tue 02-Sep-08 15:06:43

That's an interesting point tortoishell, whilst it is not our sole source of revenue as I work p/t (or at least I do when not MNing grin) he does bring in half our income and so he does need to earn a certain amount. I am also self employed so no guaranteed income here either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now