Talk

Advanced search

Did your dc practise their musical instrument at all over summer holidays?

(41 Posts)
KerryMum Sat 30-Aug-08 23:23:21

Cause ds1 didn't pick up violin once for 2 months and just fiddled on keyboard (composing rock songs hmm)

And now he's starting lessons again next week. Wondering how rusty he's going to be.

jura Sat 30-Aug-08 23:31:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeaMcLean Sat 30-Aug-08 23:36:05

He'll be rusty.

But h's probably learned loads composing rock songs. will stand him in good stead. Important to have a practical use to music, if you ask me.

brimfull Sat 30-Aug-08 23:37:50

dd hasn't either and she has competition in october !

KerryMum Sat 30-Aug-08 23:40:17

well I'm glad he's not the only one then. I think I'll suggest he have an attempt at some stuff from his books before lessons this week.

unknownrebelbang Sat 30-Aug-08 23:48:20

DS2 practised his cello, and DS3 practised his sax almost daily for the first week or two...

Then it sort of slipped, and we've been away for the last two weeks.

lickleolme Sat 30-Aug-08 23:57:30

dd practiced on the piano and the keyboard, but then she is obssessed. I mind you need a pair of earplugs. smile

roisin Sun 31-Aug-08 00:27:33

Well, we've hardly been here this summer at all, so I guess he's got an excuse. But ds2 has not been near piano or guitar hmm

jicky Sun 31-Aug-08 09:58:20

ds1 has been made to practise the piano most days (apart from when we were away) but then he has an exam in November.

HotblackDesiato Sun 31-Aug-08 10:02:19

DD1 has done a bit of flute pratice - perhaps once a week.
DD2 hasn't looked at her own guitar - has spent her time picking out new ones she'd like in shop windows.

PussinWellies Sun 31-Aug-08 17:15:40

Am slightly envious, as DS2 loves his bloody euphonium so much we took it camping...

Celia2 Mon 01-Sep-08 00:41:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MarmadukeScarlet Mon 01-Sep-08 00:51:17

DD tickled the ivories a few times a week.

Violin has been gathering dust though, DD desperate to continue lessons though hmm

twentypence Mon 01-Sep-08 03:07:54

Ds practises in the long holidays unless we are away. Same routine straight after breakfast.

All my pupils seem to practise in the holidays - they all come back better anyhow.

I think a lot depends on whether the teacher set work - I always check if they are away. Another technique for the terminally competitive is to announce a scale competition first week back with a leader board on my sideboard.

MrsJohnCusack Mon 01-Sep-08 06:58:52

Am now feeling vaguely guilty - have not played the clarinet for about 3 weeks and have a lot of work this month - must get them out blush

SauerKraut Mon 01-Sep-08 07:03:33

Do you play professionally, Mrs JC?

Beetroot Mon 01-Sep-08 07:29:02

mine did!! smile

Well for the last week I have 'encouraged' them to practice every day - before that we were away.

amess Mon 01-Sep-08 07:30:31

covered in thick dust - no interest at all so not bothered with another argument.

ScummyMummy Mon 01-Sep-08 07:43:23

Mine are such beginners (guitar) that they don't really have much to practice yet. I don't know how I'm going to persuade them to practice though. Every time I mention the word a defiant "oh no, she's lecturing me. I won't won't won't" look comes across their usually fairly sweet looking little faces. Yet it never occurs to them to have a little jamming session off their own bat so I can't happen along and say "ah! how fine that plinky plunking sounds..." and encourage them that way. How did all of you stars help your kids establish a practice routine? Tell me your secrets!

Beetroot Mon 01-Sep-08 07:46:49

scummy

I used to pay mine to practice when they were little

10p per practice and if the practised 6 times they got a pound. and at that stage practice was only 10 mins. and at the same time of day - for us, before school

ScummyMummy Mon 01-Sep-08 07:55:20

Oh yes Beetroot, one of them will definitely go for that- he loves money. And maybe the other one will get jealous of me saying how good the moneylover is getting at guitar and that will spur him on also... Ooo- That sounds like a good plan. I can see why you have 4 musical kids now, Beets!

Beetroot Mon 01-Sep-08 07:58:49

scummy - one of mine just is not musical and shows no interest but still palys the french horn.

Beetroot Mon 01-Sep-08 08:03:18

and yes - competition is often a good thing smile

Beetroot Mon 01-Sep-08 08:03:43

I had alittle chart on the wall they they ticked once they had practised

KerryMum Mon 01-Sep-08 11:31:58

well he had a go at keyboard and that's not too bad but violin?????

AAAACCCKKK

It's like he's starting all over again. Granted he only had one year of violin and 2 of keyboard.

His first class in violin is Wednesday. His teacher will have a heart attack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now