Talk

Advanced search

Just need to vent my spleen over guitar teacher

(12 Posts)
CissyCharlton Wed 16-Jul-08 19:41:05

DS1 is nearly 7 and so I decided that as a lot of his classmates will be starting music lessons at school in September (he is on a long waiting list) I'd arrange a trial guitar lesson at a local music shop.
The teacher, who I'd not met, was a university student. The point is, from the moment we arrived it was clear he didn't want ds1 there. First thing I asked him was whether a cheque was OK or would he prefer cash. Response, 'cash cos otherwise I won't get paid.' It went downhill from there. He put a piece of paper on the floor showing various dots on a picture of a guitar fret (where the fingers are supposed to go) and basically said, 'do that.' I couldn't believe it. He was 'teaching him' by facing ds1 with his guitar and asking him to copy. There were long periods of silence with no instruction from the teacher whatsoever. Ds1 was waiting to be told what to do at one point when he was told 'make an effort will you.' I could see ds1, who had been really excited about his lesson, getting really upset. The main problem was that Ds1 wasn't pressing his fingers down hard enough on the strings to make a clean sound. Instead of showing him what to do (or even telling him why he needed to press down so hard) he kept shouting at ds1. At the end, he said to me 'well how do you think it went'. I said that I'd talk to Ds1 about it at home ie. I'm not going to stand here in front of Ds1 and say he was completely shit am I'm knobhead. When I said 'well done' to DS1 the guy laughed. He actually laughed! I've never wanted to scream at somebody as much in my entire life, but restrained myself because I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing me lose my temper. Ds1 said to me after we'd left that 'the teacher couldn't wait to get rid of me could he mum?' I'm so so mad.

cat64 Wed 16-Jul-08 19:45:24

Message withdrawn

cornsilk Wed 16-Jul-08 19:49:04

Where was this?

roisin Wed 16-Jul-08 19:49:14

That sounds like someone who has not interest in teaching littlies/absolute beginners: What a plonker! They are not all like this though.

DS2 has done guitar at school this year in a small group. I just signed him up because he was interested and it was free and during school hours and a friend lent us the guitar. I didn't think he'd really learn very much. (He has individual piano lessons which cost a bomb.)

He has learned absolutely loads and has come on enormously. I'm completely stunned by how well he has progressed. His teacher is clearly fabbo.

CissyCharlton Wed 16-Jul-08 19:49:41

Yes, the guy who owns the shop and arranged the lesson said he'd phone me about how ds1 had got on. Ds1 was a bit upset when he left and I did think whether I should've pulled him out of the lesson early to avoid the upset, but since we got back we've had a laugh and a joke about the teacher and DP has just got the number of another teacher from a friend of his. I was worried that it would put ds1 off the guitar for life, but thankfully I think he's OK.

CissyCharlton Wed 16-Jul-08 19:54:29

I honestly thought he'd talk to ds1 about the absolute basics of the instrument first. He didn't. The first chord he asked ds1 to try was really tricky. He then said 'lets try soemthing simpler.' I was sat thinking why didn't he do that in the first place? I learned the guitar myself as a child (I've forgotten too much to be able to teach ds1 properly)and I remember being taught how the guitar works before we even attempted to play it

cat64 Wed 16-Jul-08 20:22:11

Message withdrawn

CissyCharlton Wed 16-Jul-08 20:23:30

I will do cat.

NorthernLurker Wed 16-Jul-08 20:25:14

no wonder he asked for cash up front - he plainly can't teach! Your poor ds - glad he's not put off though.

CissyCharlton Wed 16-Jul-08 22:58:58

I'm a bit happier now because I've just arranaged for ds1 to have a lesson with another teacher on Saturday. He sounds fab and has loads of experience teaching younger children. He's even devised a special programme for under eights. He also teaches loads of the older boys at ds1's school who have formed bands. Ds1 loves all that sort of thing. Fingers crossed that this goes well otherwise we'll have to revert to the melodica grin.

streakybacon Thu 17-Jul-08 08:52:50

He shouldn't have got anywhere near chords for a first lesson. It sounds as though he's used to giving advice to adults but doesn't seem to have any experience with children. Glad you've found another teacher. It makes all the difference when you get someone who knows what they're doing. Sorry your little lad had such a bad experience with his first lesson though, hope he's OK.

bellavita Thu 17-Jul-08 09:15:07

Our DS's guitar teacher is lovely. If they have asked her if they could learn a particular song and she has not played it before, she practices it so it is fluent for the next lesson for them so she is able to teach them it.

<<<guitar teacher sat grimacing in her spare time practicing Guns n Roses Sweet Child o' Mine>>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now