Talk

Advanced search

3/4 size violin for grade 4

(10 Posts)
MandyFl0ss Wed 06-Feb-19 05:49:52

Hello. Clueless music person alert. DD age 11 is preparing for her grade 4 violin. She's been using a 1/2 size violin and teacher has asked for next size up. Local music shop take every opportunity to make money from people just like me and are trying to sell me violins which are £300 upwards. Teacher says it's not necessary to spend more than £150 and I can buy one online. I would be really really grateful if you would kindly me link me to decent 3/4 size violins I can purchase online around the £150 mark please. Thanks so much.
PS. DD enjoys playing the violin and being part of what goes on at school in terms of music, but she won't be a violinist, her interest is fairly limited.

Pippap1 Wed 06-Feb-19 09:51:14

Hi I usually use this shop. They are always good. I've bought 1/2 & 3/4 Stentor Violins for my DS and we are very satisfied with the quality of the instruments and the shop itself.

https://www.thestringzone.co.uk

MandyFl0ss Wed 06-Feb-19 20:06:55

what do you think of this one?

www.amazon.co.uk/d/Violins/Hidersine-Violin-Vivente-Outfit/B00NGK1S1G/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr1_2?keywords=violin+3%2F4+size+Hidersine&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1549420147&sr=8-2-fkmr1

GrannyHaddock Wed 06-Feb-19 22:53:00

£150 is quite little for a violin at G4 standard.That Amazon violin doesn't look bad for the money, but you will likely have to take it to a violin shop to get it ready for playing. It is risky to buy a violin from a picture. Even if the bridge is in place it will be fitted with the nastiest strings, which can never sound well, (could be £40-£50 to replace) plus it might need the soundpost adjusted which will all bring the price up close to what you were being asked anyway. Can you find a shop that will take back a violin they have sold when you move on to full size? If you get a decent violin your child will do better on it and you will get more money back on it. Where do you live? I can suggest places near London.

catkind Thu 07-Feb-19 13:46:47

The shop aren't wrong, something a little nicer will give returns at grade 4-5. My little one is not at that standard yet but it's already easier to work on tone with a violin that gives back a nice sound when you do things right.

However, if you don't currently have budget or don't want to spend it, I'd go for a decent factory made like Stentor, and I'd buy it from a music shop not online to ensure that it is already set up for you. Some shops do a hire-purchase system on small violins too, or you can part exchange up when you want a full size.

Alternative might be to see if you get lucky on ebay on a second hand instrument of a reputable brand and expect to spend some more at a music shop on new strings and setup. Repairs are expensive though, sadly, often new comes out cheaper.

GrasswillbeGreener Thu 07-Feb-19 14:03:50

You might like to try www.caswells-strings.co.uk
They set their violins up before they send them out, which can help. They may be able to discuss things by phone with you as well. (or you can visit them if you live close enough as I have done a couple of times)

Some of my students have had Stentor violins. I think I'm inclined to encourage you to look at a Stentor II rather than Stentor I, based on the ones I've seen. There can be an element of luck involved also!

Price points for instruments seems to me to be a really tricky thing. My son was a higher standard when we were looking for his 3/4, we ended up spending less than half what the instruments he liked best cost, (for one he was happy with unlike several he tried!). But to find that we'd visited several different shops over a wide area. That instrument is now on loan to one of my students; and was earlier trialled by another family who commented that it was half the price of the others they were looking at but warranted comparison, though their daughter chose a different one.

I won't tell you what my children's full size violins cost!! shock. (grandparents helped out, and they will have them for life)

Pippap1 Thu 07-Feb-19 14:08:33

Hi I just would like to add a comment about the String Zone. It is not just an online store but also a decent store in Surrey although they just closed it a couple of months ago. The instruments are usually ready to play.

The store also has the website.
http://www.andrewriley.com

MandyFl0ss Thu 07-Feb-19 17:05:37

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I will be looking into everything you have suggested.

I must sound really tight to you. I am not (normally). The problem is I genuinely don't know anything about music but also, my DD is only half bothered about this. Perhaps if she had a better instrument she would get more joy out of playing. I guess we could always sell it second hand if it doesn't stick or when she moves to a full size one.

EtonBigot Thu 07-Feb-19 19:53:56

Many music shops have the rent to buy scheme, which allows a customer to rent the instrument first and then take the already paid rental cost off from the price if the customer eventually buys it.

LondonBelongsToMe Thu 07-Feb-19 20:03:31

We just bought a 3/4 for g5 and the shop lady said she uses £100/ grade as a guideline. Hadn’t been expecting that - nd case / bow were on top of that. We have always bought old ones from a shop where they’ve been properly set up. Inevitably, the 1/4 size we paid about£150 for 4ish years ago was only worth £20 on a trade in this time round. We ended up with the cheapest of the old options and went entirely on the warmth of the sound / tone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: