Talk

Advanced search

Conducting

(8 Posts)
Comefromaway Thu 17-Jan-19 13:45:55

Does anyone know of any conducting courses for kids (early teen)? For an enthusiastic beginner.

PickleFish Thu 17-Jan-19 15:24:53

I've heard about this course, but it's for teenagers with a 'moderate' amount of experience (first week) or 'advanced' (second week). I've no idea what 'moderate' means, but you could perhaps ask for more details or if they had any suggestions for more beginner courses.

conductingmasterclass.wordpress.com/2018/10/24/the-ingenium-academy-is-running-a-conducting-course-this-summer-for-budding-14-18-year-old-conductors-2/

Comefromaway Thu 17-Jan-19 19:28:45

He has no opportunity to practise with a real ensemble.

Comefromaway Thu 17-Jan-19 19:31:47

In fact looking at those dates he hasn’t broken up from school by then. But at least I know there are things out there.

PickleFish Thu 17-Jan-19 23:36:10

oh that's a shame. Perhaps school would let him off the last week(s) of term. I wouldn't think that many students of that age would really have had much opportunity to worth with ensembles yet, other than perhaps groups of friends, quartets, groups of singers at scouts or whatever, and perhaps played in various ensembles. Perhaps they could at least point you to other resources.

Comefromaway Fri 18-Jan-19 09:33:42

He's a singer primarily and his interest is Musical Theatre. His dad taught him a few basic conducting techniques so that he could look authentic when playing the role of the Maestro in Phantom of the Opera and he's been studying choral and musical theatre conductors scores but he's reallt like to take it further.

Eroica Sat 19-Jan-19 09:34:04

Would none of the groups he sings with give him the opportunity to conduct? It's worth talking to the leader, as so many people in music are keen to show young people the ropes and give them opportunities IME. School ensembles probably the place to start, e.g. if he sings in senior choir, then given chance to conduct junior choir (even if just for one song)?

Comefromaway Sat 19-Jan-19 09:48:37

There is no school choir unfortunately although a group of them are about to start practising for a songs from the shows concert (last year they did a Les Miserables medley). It’s a 13-18 school so the 6th formers tend to get the opportunities to direct the group. He attends a group singing class at a local dance school and he is part of an amateur theatre company. They have just done Sweeney Todd (where he was a soloist in the quintet) and are about to start rehearsals for Evita. They have a tight rehearsal schedule and many of the group are adults.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: