Talk

Advanced search

January to March 2019 music thread (Title edited by MNHQ)

(713 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

CruCru Mon 14-Jan-19 09:46:20

Hi all

Here is the new music thread for January - I hope no one minds me starting it.

I am mum to a son (7) who is learning the piano and trumpet and a daughter (5) who is learning the piano and violin. I am having piano lessons and played the trumpet as a child.

Some of the people on these threads (and their children) are fantastic musicians. Some are more like me. All are welcome.

Thank you to Wafflenose for all the time she has spent managing these threads.

Hertsessex Fri 01-Mar-19 12:55:21

I have heard of others like that. Somebody I know took a gap and practiced like crazy and got into in a leading conservatoire. She quit within 3 months realising it wasn't for her. Seeing others around her she suddenly realised her relative level and appreciated what would be required to become professional. Saying that this is not just confined to music. Oxbridge is full of successful clever people who when let loose on their own after nurturing environment of school and home can't manage their studying and life (as well as realising they are not as clever as they thought)

Hertsessex Fri 01-Mar-19 12:57:23

Related subject - anyone watching Child Genius on Channel 4? Forgot tiger mums in music (and tiger dads) - some of those parents are off the scale and I dread to think how the kids will turn out.

NeleusTheStatue Fri 01-Mar-19 14:02:31

I've never watched but can imagine the craziness as I know a few achievement junkies in real life (and interestingly most of them claim it's all 'natural' saying the kids are left on their device so it's all coming from the kids etc, then when the kids failed they would say it's the lack of preparation or the kids failed deliberately, etc..., never accept the simple fact that someone can be better than their kids... grin).

However, it's so easy to criticise the family of a genius so I would try not to jump into the obvious assumption. I am sure the production would make it look even more sensational by clever editing? You'll never know what's going on behind the doors.

thirdfiddle Fri 01-Mar-19 15:48:39

Saying that this is not just confined to music.
I was thinking it sounded rather like DH at uni. But then it kind of applies to any field - you get to the end of one stage and move onto the next and you're a beginner like everyone else and don't know if you're going to make a success of it or even like it. I think it's quite healthy really.

I do think it can be particularly bad in music because of the constant need to reinvent technique. I've talked to enough people who went to music college and were told to just play open strings for months or equivalent. Must be quite a dampener on the spirits when you've been the star of the show at school/youth music scene and getting to do lots of fun projects!

I think sometimes too people realise they enjoyed something more for the fact of being good at it and getting admired than for the thing itself - so when you put them in an environment where they're average, it's not fun any more.

Shakyisles Sat 02-Mar-19 04:11:45

So interesting to hear this. I’ve always told me children that I can help them get to grade 8 (and equivalent) but then it’s up to them! There has to be that innate desire.

I find it interesting to think that some of the skills necessary post 18 ar taught in school. They weren’t when I was there. When I taught up to ‘A’ level, most students study skills and prep for the big wide world were sadly lacking. I really don’t know what the answer is!

Brasstacks Mon 04-Mar-19 13:58:08

ZakStarkey - this? www.cardiffviolins.co.uk/benoit-rolland-spiccato-carbon-fibre-violin-bow/

ZakStarkey Mon 04-Mar-19 15:17:45

That’s the bow brass tacks- unfortunately that one is sold- already rang them x

Lotsofmilkonesugar Tue 05-Mar-19 16:12:16

....do you think we should start a March thread... or just carry on in our time warp!! 🎵🎶

NeleusTheStatue Tue 05-Mar-19 17:23:54

We can carry on I suppose? I'll request the title change to MNHQ.

JoanneMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-Mar-19 17:36:44

NeleusTheStatue

We can carry on I suppose? I'll request the title change to MNHQ.

We've sorted this for you. Do play on. smile

ZakStarkey Tue 05-Mar-19 23:07:45

Has anyone tried an Arcus bow??? Apparently cheaper than Benoît Rolland Spiccato but just as good??? Not sure- dd hasn’t tried- anyone tried one?

KittyOSullivanKrauss Tue 05-Mar-19 23:14:09

Please can someone recommend some beginner cello books? DS is currently using Waggon Wheels as recommended by the teacher. He's working through it & doing fine but isn't terribly inspired and I think he could do with something in addition for some variety, ideally something recognisable such as films/musicals/classical pieces. He never just sticks to one book with piano. I'm planning to discuss with the teacher but thought someone here would likely have some helpful advice. Thanks.

minisnowballs Wed 06-Mar-19 09:44:44

my dd is a beginner cellist and learns from Cello Time Joggers/Runners/ Sprinters. Quite nice pieces and a CD to play them with which she enjoys. She also has their Christmas carol book which went down well in December. Her grade pieces come from an ABRSM book called Time Pieces for Cello, or something like that. That has some nice bits in it, including the Pink Panther (but no film stuff, alas). I'm sure she would like stuff from musicals.

On a similar cello-ey note, can anyone recommend where I could get a replacement bow for a 1/2 cello that is neither too pricey nor too awful (holy grail?). Dd is about to take Grade 2 (so doesn't need anything too fancy), and has just gone up a size. Her cello is nice, but the bow is dodgy apparently.

TaggieOHara Wed 06-Mar-19 10:12:00

Zak - I tried one and found it nice to play, and easy to control, but lacking depth on the G string.

At your DD’s stage, she probably needs a fine bow, to be honest. Have she ever tried a really good professional level bow? (£3k +). The colours you get and ease of technique are a step up even from a decent student bow, of the type she has tried. In some ways, it makes more difference than the instrument. Maybe the school could help organise a loan from a foundation?

Sorry if I am out of line with this, but I just wanted to offer a slightly different perspective.

ZakStarkey Wed 06-Mar-19 10:40:16

Thanks Taggie- no she hasn’t tried anything in that price range. Eek! This violin malarkey is expensive! 🤣

CoffeeTeaChocolate Fri 08-Mar-19 09:17:02

Hi Everyone, has anyone got a one-off “emergency” violin lesson? DD has been ill all week and we had to cancel her regular lessons... now she has new pieces for orchestra tomorrow and Sunday and her teacher is unavailable. Have anyone any idea on how to approach this ? We are London based....

Greenleave Fri 08-Mar-19 11:40:54

Hi Coffee, are you in SW London? Its quite tricky with regard to timing(most teacher wants to take weekend off).

CoffeeTeaChocolate Fri 08-Mar-19 12:23:15

Hi Green,

I actually managed to book a teacher through a music school I found online just 30min ago (anyone need details, let me know). They incredibly had a slot....my daughter is home today (she was ill all week, so today as first day well I kept her at home). They managed to fit her in as it is mid day and before the rush starts. She is in lesson now, still cannot believe it. Thank you though!!!

NeleusTheStatue Fri 08-Mar-19 12:43:54

That's an impressive PA work, Coffee.

CoffeeTeaChocolate Fri 08-Mar-19 12:57:47

Feeling efficient grin.. I was a bit desperate and spend some time online. It was so bad luck with the new music (4 pieces) and completely out with the flu for the past week.

It can be so embarrassing being the only one who cannot play in orchestra... just wanted to spare her that!!

NeleusTheStatue Fri 08-Mar-19 13:12:53

Money and time well spent then. grin Hope your DD enjoys the rehearsals. New music is always exciting. smile

Greenleave Fri 08-Mar-19 14:08:08

Thats great Coffee, hope she is on a complete mend.

Lotsofmilkonesugar Fri 08-Mar-19 21:25:23

First of our 4 ABRSM exams tomorrow ( not great planning !!) ..... grade 1 clarinet for DS2. He has quite severe dyspraxia so it’s a big deal for him. He’s very anxious but we got through it all tonight🤞 it will be ok. Would be great for his confidence to get a good result. The others are all in the last week. Good luck to anyone else about to sit exams .. bet there are quite a few on here!

thirdfiddle Sat 09-Mar-19 08:34:33

Four lotsofmilk shock good luck to your DS2 today. We have 3 exams coming up between 2 kids. DS x2 should be fine, he doesn't seem to do nervous. Or practice much, but plays through his pieces every day and no reason he can't do so again in exam. Sight reading is his weakest area. DD is a bit more erratic, plays beautifully on a good day but can go very fast and very quietly if she gets nervous.

woolleybear Sat 09-Mar-19 08:36:11

We are 2.5 weeks away from exam and seriously at the arrgggghhhhhh stage! This is why we swore no more clarinet exams, lol. Dd is calmer than me, and secondary school are being a lot more supportive of exam preparation than her primary were. Aural practice session booked with music teacher, rooms to practice at lunch or after school etc. All scales learned ish but one piece still not sounding great...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »