Talk

Advanced search

Acro squad and possibilities to switch to artistic?

(5 Posts)
schooling123 Mon 11-Jun-18 05:39:25

Is it at all possible to switch or is it too late - 9 years old chid? Would private sessions in artistic help to prepare for a trial in artistic?

Guiloak Tue 12-Jun-18 21:37:35

How many hours of acro has she been doing? It all depends what level of artistic regional grades prob not too late. Elite very unlikely. Private lessons won't make up for the hours of training since 5/6 that artistic girls have had.

TheForgetfulCat Wed 13-Jun-18 14:57:44

My 9yo does acro and display gym. I think questions would be how long she's been doing acro, what hours she currently does and what level of artistic she wants to move to. DD would be conditioned and strong enough to have a go at medium level artistic (I think!) but hasn't done bars or beam since she was 7 and in rec classes, so would have loads of ground to make up.

What's making her want to switch? DD loves the teamwork of acro and display but hates the individual spotlight that's on you when competing artistic.

schooling123 Thu 14-Jun-18 14:56:53

Doing 6 - 8 hours a week atm. Artistic - just seems enjoying more...did not explain the reasons to me. What are the / competitions within artistic that the child can work towards to - is tumbling under artistic or trampoline? Probably it would need to be a squad leading to competitions rather than private lessons?

TheForgetfulCat Thu 14-Jun-18 15:19:56

Tumbling is a discipline in its own right so if he/she wanted to do that you could look at a tumbling squad which might be easier than artistic. Certainly a number of the girls in DDs acro and display groups also do tumbling at different levels, some competitively.

Are they doing some artistic gym already then? Your best bet might be to speak to their current artistic coach and ask what the options are. There's a few different pathways for artistic competition, I don't understand it very well but there are club and regional grades and then 'compulsory' grades which are the real elite stuff. As pp says I would think club/ regional level competition may be possible but elite very unlikely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: