Talk

Advanced search

Monologue suggestions for 11 year old boy - LAMDA acting 4 exam

(6 Posts)
dinosaurinmybelly Tue 13-Feb-18 10:52:03

Hello -
my son has been working on his Grade 4 acting LAMDA exam and has prepared Ernie's Incredible Illucinations from the syllabus. He now needs to choose a contrasting monologue from a published play. I am new to LAMDA and his teacher has just moved to another school so I want to help keep his enthusiasm going by putting a few suggestions in front of him. Has anyone's DC chosen something that they really enjoyed and you would be willing to share?

SpikeStoker Tue 13-Feb-18 14:24:52

I'm sure my son did a piece from How To Train Your Dragon for grade 4 at a similar age. The last one he did was young Heathcliffe from Wuthering Heights when Heathcliffe and Cathy come back from looking at the Linton's house, he really enjoyed that. Just make sure the piece is age appropriate and ideally fun.

AlexanderHamilton Tue 13-Feb-18 23:37:21

11 is very young to be doing Grade 4. Incidentally for Grade 4 it doesn’t have to be from a published play, it can be a standalone monologue or adapted from a published novel.

There is an anthology of monologues by Jean Marlow. The Railway Children would be quite a good contrast, or something from Roald Dahl. There is also a Just William one in that book if he can get the style of the period.

dinosaurinmybelly Wed 14-Feb-18 11:53:53

Thank you both so much. I had no idea that he was young to be doing Grade 4. He enjoys it so much, and did well on the Grade 3, so his teacher just moved him on. Really grateful for the heads up on the anthology.

AlexanderHamilton Wed 14-Feb-18 12:18:57

LAMDA used to set a minimum age of 12 to do Grade 4. They did abolish that requirement but you just have to take into consideration the increasing maturity of the monologues required.

Daisymay2 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:41:54

If you want to stand still with the grades he could do either public speaking or speaking of poetry and prose instead of grade 4 acting. DS2 didn't much like acting but did Gold in both of the others.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: