Talk

Advanced search

Piano for home

(14 Posts)
Skedaddled Sat 13-Jan-18 09:37:58

I wondered if anyone could recommend a piano or digital piano for DD9 to use at home. She is due to start lessons as a beginner but will obviously need her own instrument at home for practice. Neither DH nor I are musical so don’t want to spend a fortune if we can help it!

Fekko Sat 13-Jan-18 09:39:22

I’d ask the teacher. My friend teaches and says that you can get really good electronics keyboards.

greathat Sat 13-Jan-18 09:39:52

Yamaha p45. You'll need weighted keys

ArbitraryName Sat 13-Jan-18 09:40:57

We’ve got this Casio one. It does absolutely everything it needs to do for DS2 (8).

Floralnomad Sat 13-Jan-18 09:43:43

We have a Clavinova , it’s very old now as I bought it new 28 yrs ago but it has weighted keys and plays as well as any upright piano I’ve ever played . You should be able to pick one up second hand for a reasonable price.

HeadDreamer Sat 13-Jan-18 09:47:07

I have a Yamaha digital piano. You need 88 weighted keys, with the lower ones heavier than the higher notes. The p series is very good and p45 is the cheapest one.

HeadDreamer Sat 13-Jan-18 09:47:44

Have a look here uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/index.html

anothermama Sat 13-Jan-18 09:50:44

A digital piano can be a fairly inexpensive option - all you need is a full 88 key keyboard, with weighted keys. Don't worry about all the extra bells and whistles some offer. They're nice and compact too if space is an issue, I have a Korg I bought to take to uni so I could squeeze it into my halls room. It's still working perfectly 10 years later. There's also the added benefit of being able to use headphones for practice.

Skedaddled Sat 13-Jan-18 09:58:39

Just off to have a look at your link and suggestions!

Mistigri Sat 13-Jan-18 11:20:11

Get advice from your teacher. I would probably opt for a second hand digital piano with weighted keys to start with.

Some teachers are very anti digital for more advanced students, DD's teacher hates them. We have an acoustic now, but she got by on a cheap digital until she was well past grade 5.

HeadDreamer Sat 13-Jan-18 12:05:02

I find the teachers are mostly anti digital. Some are a bit of a snob. I love my p120. I sold my aucoustic upright and bought it when I was at university. I have it for nearly 20 years now and never regretted. No maintence, portable and I can play it with headphones on.

HeadDreamer Sat 13-Jan-18 12:06:30

And not for even advanced students. These are ofc second hand knowledge from DCs friend who are learning piano. Their teachers insisted on acoustic uprights.

Skedaddled Sat 13-Jan-18 13:55:06

I have just gone for the Yamaha p45, will see how she gets on. If she has any talent can look at an acoustic later. Thanks for advice.

Minimusiciansmama Mon 15-Jan-18 03:52:27

Good starting point. My DD (she’s been playing 3 years) refuses to have an electronic piano. She just prefers an acoustic- her teacher had even offered us a clavinova to save on tuning costs etc but she wasn’t interested. We now have a quite nice Yamaha upright on long term loan from friends but with hopes for a u3 long term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now