Talk

Advanced search

Beavers and sleepovers

(7 Posts)
LouLouLove Wed 06-Dec-17 21:16:19

My DS 6 is about to start Beavers and we are very much looking forward to it. I just have a bit of anxiety about the sleepovers, I don't want him to miss out on anything however I am anxious because (1) he still wears night nappies and (2) i'm not sure how i feel about him sleeping away with people I don't know. Can anyone tell me their experience, are the sleepovers something they need to take part in? Thanks.

InflagranteDelicto Wed 06-Dec-17 21:19:38

Dp a beaver leader. He usually has at least one in pull ups, if not 2-3. The leaders are totally used to it and will have arrangements in place for him to change discreetly evening and morning. Although he says come the morning they strip off and kick them into the room without a care! He'll be fine, and have a fantastic time.

Minimusiciansmama Wed 06-Dec-17 21:21:41

When the time comes, you might find that you could volunteer as a parent helper. Most trips want them. You'll have to do a DBS check but they're generally really pleased for extra people. If you had a quiet word with his leaders, they could make sure he could get his night pants on in the bathroom/somewhere private.
Xx

LouLouLove Wed 06-Dec-17 21:23:46

Thank you both, that's very reassuring to hear that it's not unusual. He is very conscious of still being in nappies. I will definitely consider volunteering when the time comes for his first one! Thank you both.

budgiegirl Thu 07-Dec-17 08:03:25

I attended a beaver sleepover recently (I’m a cub leader) and several of the beavers were wearing pull ups at night. It’s not at all unusual at that age. The other beavers didn’t comment on it, except one child who came to ask me why ‘Fred’ was wearing a nappy. I told him it was a pull up, and I told him it was normal, and a good idea for ‘Fred’ to wear it if he felt more comfortable with it. The beaver nodded and said he thought it was a good idea too, and no more was said about it.

I’d tell your DS not to worry, but speak to the leaders if you are concerned. They can help your son find discreet ways of managing it if needed.

And if he really doesn’t want to do a sleepover, they’re not compulsory, but I wouldn’t let a pull up stop him .

Groovee Thu 07-Dec-17 11:38:25

I'm a brownie leader. I was recently at a brownie holiday where I was first aider. I called any girl on their own and the girl with pull ups used a separate toilet to put it on and no one knew. It was all done discretely and I would expect the Scout leaders to be the same.

Fredella Sun 10-Dec-17 20:12:58

I'm a Beaver leader. I invite the parents to tell me before hand if there are any issues with pull-ups/bedwetting. We make sure any children in pull-ups are given chance to get changed separately and it isn't an issue to worry about.

We are also used to dealing with wet beds and daytime accidents. Things like that happen with this age group.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now