Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is £16 per person to attend a ballet school end of the year show too expensive?

(43 Posts)
user1494283706 Tue 14-Nov-17 16:17:53

How much would you be prepared to pay per person to see your four years old dance at her ballet end of the year show?
My daughter's ballet school is charging £16 per ticket for a 1 hour 15 minutes show where each age group/grade will dance 15 minutes each.

Minimusiciansmama Tue 14-Nov-17 18:44:08

Wowsers.... unless your dancer is at the Royal ballet school and she's dancing at Covent Garden, yeah I would object to that. I'm paying £6 a ticket for ours, though it's worked out at £12 each as the show has two totally different programmes and she's in both. Can you offer to chaperone and watch her from the wings?!

PaperdollCartoon Tue 14-Nov-17 18:45:09

Yes that’s expensive. Have they hired a proper theatre or something?

Minimusiciansmama Tue 14-Nov-17 18:47:35

Even in a proper theatre I would object. The most I've paid is £9 even in a proper theatre. We did though have to pay through the roof for them to take part in those performances.

KittiKat Tue 14-Nov-17 18:54:57

Okay... Here is a different view...

1) Hire of hall
2) Rehearsal times (are you paying for these as if they were normal lessons?)
3) Hire of lights
4) Hire of music (or pianist)
5) Costumes (are you buying your daughter's costume?)
6) Dance teacher's time
7) Production of tickets
8) Production of dance programme
9) Accounting that needs to be done
10) Stage scenery (made or hired)

There could be/is more. I write these as a mother who has been there, done that and found out what exactly our ticket money had to cover in order for the show to go ahead.

katymac Tue 14-Nov-17 18:58:56

To add to kittikat's list:
Alterations and accessories for costumes
Stage make-up & hair
Insurance
DBI/chaperone licenses (free in our county but sometimes paid for)
Our last show had 3 guest choreographers to be paid for
It can be combined with prize-giving which may have a cost

Dance is an expensive hobby

LIZS Tue 14-Nov-17 19:00:57

Think we paid a out £12 last year, plus costumes etc. Dd only did one dance, 5 mins on stage max! Is it a theatre or church hall?

Ttbb Tue 14-Nov-17 19:04:58

It depends of the production. If it is in a large theatre with high quality costumes, live orchestra, lighting technician etc then sure. If it's an end of year recital in costumes you have paid for in the village hall then it seems a bit steep.

DrWhooves Tue 14-Nov-17 19:05:05

My DD's is £12 each ticket, its in a proper theatre. I pay £10 on top of that for costume hire and do hair and make up myself. I'm really looking forward to seeing her perform though, parents are not allowed to spectate at lessons.

user1494283706 Tue 14-Nov-17 19:25:36

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed insight! smile
We haven't a clue what the production, choreography or costumes will be like. Everything has been kept secret from us, including the children. The rehearsals took place during the entire term ballet sessions (Sept-Oct- November).
The show is being held at one of the oldest and most prestigious drama schools in the United Kingdom: the RADA.
We are very excited. We are just wondering if for a small school it may be extravagant. wink

KittiKat Tue 14-Nov-17 19:33:24

To be honest, when you see your daughter on the stage, you will probably well up and think it was worth every penny! flowers smile

user1494283706 Tue 14-Nov-17 19:44:35

@KittiKat I totally agree, as it could also be a total disaster since the kid's never entered nor rehearsed in the theatre before and never seen nor tried on the outfit before the big day. hmm But I will keep you posted. wink

katymac Tue 14-Nov-17 19:45:23

& chances are you will be doing it for many, many years!

Last one I went to, was a week a go Friday & DD is 20 next Tuesday

newtlover Tue 14-Nov-17 19:48:38

my god, you'd have to pay me that much to attend
a fiver max
I get that it's fun for the kids but I have been to several and they are tedious

newtlover Tue 14-Nov-17 19:49:52

by the time they had scraped her hair back and plastered her with make up DD2 was unrecognisable anyway!

MiaowTheCat Tue 14-Nov-17 19:58:57

To be honest - I'm not paying for ours this year. I'm sick of lots of things from how our dance school's being run though - so I'm keeping a low profile and trying to steer the kids toward trying out other hobbies (or looking for a new dance school).

Ours are like (assuming a performer comes with one parent) £13 or something for a parent+dancer... and the venue ain't exactly prestigious and from past experience I know in ours you're paying to watch like the same 7-8 kids do dozens of dances while you get 2 seconds of yours at the end.

There are "issues" at our dance school though - apparently it's earning a bit a reputation for a slightly fucked up dynamic.

user1494283706 Tue 14-Nov-17 20:20:15

@katymac My wee one wants to be a ballet dancer! grin

user1494283706 Tue 14-Nov-17 20:21:36

@katymac Oops! I meant my wee one wants to be a ballet teacher! grin

dodobookends Tue 14-Nov-17 20:33:01

That sounds like you are paying for the venue, OP. Somewhere like that is going to cost a packet to hire out.

katymac Tue 14-Nov-17 20:46:42

Yes I reckon the venue will be the killer!! Prob half the cost

Sent you a message User wink

Drinaballerina Tue 14-Nov-17 20:50:55

£3.50 for ours in the local community centre. Plus rehearsals and costumes. Wish they would get people in to do hair - a dance mom I am Not!

ChameNangerRanger Tue 14-Nov-17 21:46:38

Ours is less for tickets (can't remember exactly but it wasn't shocking) but there is a separate payment per child for taking part to cover the costs of putting it on, costumes etc. that seems a fairer way of doing it. My girls have loved being part of it.
However, £20!!! For the official DVD for ours I do think is ridiculous considering how cheap they are to copy. That guy must have made a fortune with 150 plus kids involved.

user1494283706 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:17:22

I was informed just a few minutes ago that my daughter would not wear an outfit for the event but her usual class outfit (ballet shoes, tights and leotard)!
I am not happy and so will many parents!

Afterall, we paid this term fee two months in advance for our kids to rehearse for the show. Furthermore, we are paying £16 per person for the rental of the other dancers' outfits, and our children would be subpart!

I believe it is cruel to have put the baby ballet dancers through the rehearsals like the other dancers and not being rewarded with a unique outfit like all the dancers!

I am removing my daughter from the school, and I haven't wasted time. I found another and better one for January.

Minimusiciansmama Tue 14-Nov-17 23:06:47

kittikat I agree at all the expenses and that dance is an expensive hobby... we pay £70 per child for the shows, pay for extra rehearsals and decent class fees every week of the academic year. I therefore why I would object to a large ticket fee in addition.

KittiKat Tue 14-Nov-17 23:15:39

User I would have done the same as you to be honest. Your DD may only be 4 but she will be upset that she does not have a lovely tutu like the others. sad.

Minimusiciansmama The trouble is, the dance teacher can set this fee and there is no recourse really other than not going. My DD danced for years and years and even though I was part of the back stage crew, I still had to pay all the fees and ticket prices.

ChameNangerRanger I have a sneaky suspicion as to which ballet school that might be!! I too used to think "how much?!!" but I still paid it just so I could watch it time and time again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now