Talk

Advanced search

Ukuleles - all much of a muchness?

(5 Posts)
VeryPunny Mon 13-Nov-17 14:15:11

Would like to get my 3 year old a ukulele for Christmas. Are they all much of a muchness or is there a recommended brand? He’s generally a careful chap so I don’t reckon he’ll be smashing it around but still I don’t think we need the Steinway of ukeleles... I’m happy for him just to tootle about on it open strings etc.

Thanks in advance!

Wafflenose Mon 13-Nov-17 16:33:52

Yep, really not worth spending loads. The four of us all have £15 Mahalos in different colours!

Minimusiciansmama Mon 13-Nov-17 16:54:02

My little one has a low end Stagg which has a nice tone to it actually. A ukelele playing friend recommended putting Aquila strings on cheap ukeleles (about £7 for a full set) to get the best from them

MyOtherProfile Mon 13-Nov-17 16:55:30

Definitely a cheap one with Aquila strings. Are you going to teach him to play?

VeryPunny Mon 13-Nov-17 17:50:25

I would quite like to teach him, yes. He’s always singing but hasn’t shown much interest in our piano, beyond the odd session messing about.

How difficult is it to replace a string? Is it the kind of thing a local music shop would do? Or would they get sniffy if I asked them to do it for me if I didn’t buy the instrument from them? Am reasonably competent generally but have never played any string instrument. Happy to tune it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now