Talk

Advanced search

Keyboard advice please

(8 Posts)
trumpthunder Sat 11-Nov-17 10:09:56

Hi want to get a reasonably priced keyboard to support kids at home learning the keyboard at school. There are loads of different brands and prices, I dong wang to spend a great deal so can anyone recommend a keyboard to buy?? Thanks smile

trumpthunder Sat 11-Nov-17 17:38:59

Anyone there??

Toomanycats99 Sat 11-Nov-17 17:54:49

I asked a keyboard question a week or so ago and only got one response! Mine was slightly different in that my daughter is only 6 so not having lessons yet. I also spoke to a work colleague about them as his children played (although I was looking at a light up one so probably more beginners than you are looking for) He said that Yamaha are viewed slightly higher in non domestic settings but Casio are equally as fine at home. His sons had Yamaha as I think there was some link in to what they were doing at school!

trumpthunder Sat 11-Nov-17 18:12:07

Thanks that’s great, was thinking I’d have to put some shocking tabloid style title to try and get someone to reply, which keyboard is a bit boring compared to some of the stuff on here! Thanks again x smile

trumpthunder Sat 11-Nov-17 18:14:12

Also meant to say in original message ‘don’t want’ rather than ‘Dong wang’ !!! Lol

Mistigri Sun 12-Nov-17 05:11:06

If your kids are having lessons then you should ask their teacher. Really important with musical instruments to know what to look for - for eg with a keyboard I imagine that the important factors are number of octaves and the range of programmable options. The teacher can advise on this.

You won't get many replies here because although keyboard is a perfectly respectable thing to learn, it's more common to start with piano.

trumpthunder Sun 12-Nov-17 15:20:46

Thanks, great advice x

Malbecfan Thu 16-Nov-17 15:36:24

Sorry, I don't get on here that often. Get one which has full-sized piano keys then if your child progresses onto piano, they don't need to make huge adjustments. If you can afford it, get one which has touch sensitive keys (or the ability to turn it on and off) so it is more like a piano. It won't make a huge difference if your child stays on keyboard but would be a bonus if they move onto piano.

Yamaha and Casio are both great and the staples of many music classrooms. For schools, I detest those with DJ buttons that kids inevitably end up pressing, but maybe at home it would be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now