Talk

Advanced search

DD6 yo - how to start viola? or shall we start vln first?

(4 Posts)
schooling123 Tue 31-Oct-17 07:29:46

Viiola is a lower pitched string instr compare to vln. can children starrt on Viola or do they start on violin and they switch? thank you

Wafflenose Tue 31-Oct-17 07:32:23

They can start on viola if that's what they prefer. It's more unusual, but why not? My friend's daughter started when she was 7.

AgnesGrey123 Tue 31-Oct-17 08:45:05

DD is doing viola as she was drawn to its slightly lower voice. She is fine with the alto clef which I had thought would confuse her. She says its ok because when she plays the piano it's all so different it's ok.

She finds her "hole in the heart" viola is much better than a violin strung as a viola. I think it has a slightly different sound post?
Lots of people end up playing both instruments but may have more orchestral opportunities with the viola as it's a little more unusual. Go for it!!

catkind Tue 31-Oct-17 21:48:36

Go for it! If you don't have a good viola teacher locally, ask around among violin teachers, they're often keen to have beginner violas too, or they'll know someone who is. School/junior orchestras are always short of violas, so if she takes to it she'd be very much in demand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now