Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Abrsm / trinity

(4 Posts)
craddock287 Sat 21-Oct-17 21:09:52

Hello mumsnetters. I have been hearing from lots of (violin) learners that they will only consider Abrsm. Is this based purely on historical reputation? As I understand it, trinity exams are equal these days. What's the general perception? Do different boards attract different types of kids or teachers? (Or parents?)

Malbecfan Sun 22-Oct-17 12:48:50

Both equally respected amongst music teachers and professionals. DD's violin teacher is an examiner for Trinity and helps write the syllabus. However, our school holds ABRSM exams every term and it is logistically much easier for us to take ABRSM. Teacher is perfectly happy and chosen repertoire is I think on both lists. Some people perceived Trinity to be "easier" as there is no grade 5 Theory requirement. However, the listening tests are very detailed and require extensive musical knowledge and perception at grade 8.

My advice is to play to your child's strengths. Violinist DD is great at aural tests and a decent sight-reader so she is happy to do ABRSM. Some people would rather opt for the different Trinity tests.

rogueantimatter Sun 22-Oct-17 12:51:55

I agree. Abrsm is a bigger organisation and more commonly used.

Trumpetboysmum Mon 23-Oct-17 19:01:23

I think they are both equally respected now by universities etc ( the higher grades all have the same number of ucas points) and music colleges tend only to state playing of a certain standard ( not which exam board. Some parts of the exams are the same , some parts different I think it depends what suits. Ds has done trinity exams he says he might have a go at Abrsm grade 8 but you have to be a confide singer to make the most of the aural part of these exams at the high grades - ds's voice is starting to break so he might still do trinity because there's no singing but a really detailed listening exercise instead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now