Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dance lessons and hair syling

(11 Posts)
TheSconeOfStone Mon 16-Oct-17 14:23:31

DD aged 7 has just started ballet and jazz and is loving it. We'll probably add tap after Christmas. The problem I have is that I am incapable of styling to the required standard. DD has shoulder length fine hair that is really hard to style.

Hoping she sticks at it long enough for exams but any tips on taming her hair? Also the bun rule seems very prejudiced against girls with shorter hair. Do short haired girls not dance?

Minimusiciansmama Mon 16-Oct-17 14:56:19

Short haired professionals gel it to look like it's back in a bun, or have longer hair. You can get shoulder length hair in a bun, you might need to practice and you will need to do it firmly. I do it wet, and I use gel spray to hold it in place when done, hair pins not grips. "Donuts" are not allowed in my daughters school. But to be fair, you're actually kinda right, many girls who take their dance seriously don't have their hair short because it limits the options- and makes life harder for mum. For exams and associate classes, my daughter has to have high plaits that are pinned over her head, couldn't do it with short hair. We had a child for panto last year with short hair used a hair piece for the braided, plaits-over look.

dodobookends Mon 16-Oct-17 15:20:57

There are plenty of bun tutorials on youtube. You will need hairspray or gel, a bun net (dance shops or ebay) and long hairpins. Dampen the hair first with water or gel spray, and put in a high ponytail first. Then twist it into a rope, and wind it round . Push the pins in, and put the net on last. More spray and voila! Practice makes perfect grin

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 16-Oct-17 20:07:24

shoulder length is fine - harder but still doable. use water spray and gel to get it back tightly and the bun itself will just be small. we too have a plaits over head thing to deal with - if hair is short then just do the two bunches to start with very close together. I have always managed it even when one of mine had hair that barely reached her shoulders. in our panto they just don't pick them if their hair isn't long enough...

wendz86 Mon 16-Oct-17 20:20:54

Gel spray is your friend . My daughters is quite fine so hard to do a bun but I just use lots of grips and gel spray .

dodobookends Tue 17-Oct-17 00:51:22

When it comes to exam time, most dance schools will have someone experienced on hand to do everyone's hair.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 17-Oct-17 15:57:09

Agree with the above tips it is also easier to style wet or dirty hair. Clean dry hair is very difficult.

MiaowTheCat Fri 20-Oct-17 20:44:06

The VO5 gel spray stuff is great... also leave it a day after washing at least, and I tend to plait my DDs' hair the night before to give it a bit more body (DD1 has unfortunately inherited my ridiculously fine uncooperative hair while DD2 has thick hair - but a permanent aura of having been dragged through a hedge backwards - the child is just permanently dishevelled).

If you're allowed them - get one of the smallest versions of bun donut as well (they're harder to find - think ours were from Claires) - we're not allowed them for exams but they will be prising one of out my cold dead fingers (most of the casual mums to be honest) if they ban them from classes. I can do a proper farty about flat cowpat type bun when required but bollocks to putting in that degree of fart aboutery on a Saturday morning every week! There's usually enough people floating around for exams or shows who can do dance hair properly to help people out anyway (although they were all drawing straws to try to avoid having to tackle DD2 last time cos she's such a bloody wriggler!).

Although we get endless notices about hair must be in a bun for all lessons and this is the requested style - in reality the bulk of them are aimed at the older girls who still try to rock up with their hair down and all over the place then faff about for half the class getting it tied back.

TheSconeOfStone Sun 22-Oct-17 11:07:13

Thanks for all the tips. DD is enjoying dance so much but she is a scruff. I've got a good while to practice before any exams happy. At the moment I'm doing to two bunches and tucking the hair in like mini buns. For classes some girls have proper buns but not all. As long as it is tied up this seems to be acceptable. The teachers are so lovely. I'm delighted with the dance school.

Minimusiciansmama Sun 22-Oct-17 22:08:47

Aww that's great to hear. Keep having a go at a proper bun when you can do it calmly for both of you and then when you need it, you'll have down! Long may the love of dance class continue xx

MiaowTheCat Mon 23-Oct-17 07:18:54

I've also found you can get away with a lot for exams if you've got a decent ponytail as a base so spend the time doing that bit and then beg help with the bun part if needs be. Lots of gel spray to keep it back and not wispy then, and I double bobble the ponytail for exam days to make sure it stays put.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now