Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to wear under a cassock if you're nine !

(15 Posts)
girlwhowearsglasses Mon 18-Sep-17 12:07:00

Hi - not sure I'm i the right place, but anyways - my 9YO DS has been in the provisional choir at Local Cathedral since Jan and yesterday he joined the main choir for the first service. Not religious myself but C of E background. Very excited for him and neither of us had appreciated what a big thing and indeed privilege it is until yesterday.

Anyways he was quite overcome afterwards and isn't sure about it, but I would like him to continue as I know he does enjoy it and must have the talent as the choir master has chosen him... (its a big commitment but I'm commited to that if he is enjoying it).

One thing he hated was the cassock (which he had looked forward to wearing!). They seemed surprised it upset him but its got a tight ruff and is made of heavy wool so I can imagine why. Also his feet from all the standing up (1.5 hours)

My question is what to wear underneath? perhaps I need to ask on the Style boards but I thought there'd be some experienced MNers here!

I'm thinking a thick flannel grandad shirt might sort the itchiness? Also special v comfy shoes for the standing up. I want him to feel special about it....

raspberryrippleicecream Mon 18-Sep-17 12:31:42

DS had no choice, he wore school uniform on weekdays and choir uniform which polo shirt/sweatshirt on Sundays. He didn't have a ruff though.

Shoes had to be polished black. DS wore his properly fitted school shoes and good socks. They do need to be comfy standing, 1.5 hours is the low end of the time range.

DS thoroughly enjoyed being a Chorister, got masses from it and still sings in Youth Choir and as a junior choral scholar

Seeline Mon 18-Sep-17 12:34:09

DS is in his school choristers so it's school uniform shirt and tie and school shoes.
His cassock is a rather horrible polyester though so probably not as itchy, but definitely hotter!!

Witchend Mon 18-Sep-17 18:57:32

Dm wears shorts and t-shirt under hers. She says it's the advantage of having to wear robes, she doesn't have to dress smart. grin

londonmummy1966 Thu 21-Sep-17 15:40:52

Just seen this thread. I have 2 dc in cathedral choir and they usually go from school so uniform but again they don't have wool cassocks. Dh does though - he wears a long sleeved cotton shirt and a cotton cravat. I think your idea of a flannel shirt sounds a good one - perhaps switch to a long-sleeve top or t shirt in the summer? Perhaps one of the UV ones as they are very tightly woven and shouldn't let itchy fibres through. Ruffs come in a range of sizes so if his was too tight get him to ask if there is a slightly larger one in the cupboard. (If the worst comes to the worst you could buy him one from Watts or Wippells - they are not very expensive).

Comfortable shoes are a must as choristers do spend a lot of time on their feet. There may be choir rules about shoes and socks. Ours have to be polished and worn with black socks although my eldest has been known to wear chelsea boots....

girlwhowearsglasses Thu 21-Sep-17 17:11:32

Oh thanks londonmummy! I've ordered comfy shoes and might get a ruff of his own

londonmummy1966 Thu 21-Sep-17 17:43:03

You're welcome - I saw your post on the September music thread - just to say he will settle in and no doubt well before Christmas but the first few weeks in the Cathedral will be quite overwhelming for him - there's so much music to organise - just trying to remember what comes next let alone sing it. Then there's also the feeling of being on show and, fabulous as it is, cathedral architecture makes everyone feel small and insignificant from time to time. But it won't take long for him to learn the ropes and singing in a cathedral choir usually offers loads of great opportunities - special civic services, concerts, BBC recordings, tours etc.

RidiculousDiversion Mon 02-Oct-17 10:30:14

I've just seen this thread - my chorister dd had ruff trouble, and going up a size helped a lot (plus some help putting it on and settling it - she was was getting in an awful tangle with long hair, ruff, cassock etc).

On the shoes, she has black leather shoes for school that are basically trainers, but look smart, and she also wears those for choir. I add lambswool insoles, for maximum soft cosines. They are the Plae Roan black - might be worth a try if you're still looking for something comfy.

Helenluvsrob Fri 06-Oct-17 21:23:16

Anything you like with school shoes and ruff. Some places insist on a shirt.

In the summer they’ll wear as little as they can get away with as it’ll be blooming hot !

Michaelahpurple Sat 28-Oct-17 20:35:19

Ds2 is a chorister at St Margaret's Westminster and they have to wear their red poly cassocks and floaty cotton surpluses over their school uniform or grey trousers shit and tie but can leave off their jumpers (although my boy is sometimes too clueless to do so). The last service of the summer was marred by a faint and half the rest having to unbutton themselves mid sermon to prevent an epidemic. V elegant !

Xennialish Sat 28-Oct-17 20:41:33

DD nearly took a tumble straight into her candle near the end of nine lessons last year...just made it through but very warm in a standing room only cathedral!

raspberryrippleicecream Mon 30-Oct-17 00:10:06

When I'm chaperoning I'm always suggesting removing jumpers under cassocks. Some kids overheat more easily than others though.

drspouse Sat 11-Nov-17 11:54:11

I used to wear white tights and smart shoes and YY to removing jumper!

VivaLeBeaver Sat 11-Nov-17 11:55:19

Full length thermals at this time of year!

girlwhowearsglasses Sun 12-Nov-17 10:33:55

Update! Bought own ruff as recommended from Whipple for £12 and ironed on satin ribbon to the inside - makes a massive difference and I recommend!

He’s settled down now - thanks for advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now