Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about Hockey face masks & helmets

(11 Posts)
Logans Sat 16-Sep-17 14:24:39

I was thinking of getting a face mask / helmet for PFB DC for Hockey, but I read that they're normally only worn for penalty corners and not for the whole game, is this correct? Is there a type of mask / helmet I can get that can be worn the whole time?

hertsandessex Sat 16-Sep-17 16:10:58

Don't think so. Not sure about the rules but I have watched lots of hockey teenage and adult and can't recall and face masks or helmets other than for penalty corners. Just need a gum shield and ideally a really good fitting one. Seen a lot of sticks to heads and balls to mouth and just one of those things it seems.

AlexanderHamilton Sat 16-Sep-17 16:14:09

Yes, they are worn for penalty corners. I don't think they are allowed for other parts of the game but I'm not 100% sure (ds was a goalie)

Logans Mon 18-Sep-17 16:00:50

Seen a lot of sticks to heads and balls to mouth and just one of those things it seems.

Ouch. Sounds horrible!

Is there any reason they couldn't be worn for the whole game aside from being deemed unnecessary?

hertsandessex Mon 18-Sep-17 16:20:15

Actually just checked and I think clearly against UK Hockey rules to wear other than for penalty corners. The only exception seems to be if there is an existing medical condition (I guess an injury of some kind that needs protection.) I guess concern with one player wearing a mask is that they then potentially pose a greater risk to others in collisions in open play. Maybe check with teacher/coach but I suspect you are not going to get very far given the UK hockey rules.

Pinkpanther1234 Mon 18-Sep-17 16:29:45

Hertsandessex is absolutely correct. Some kids do however wear rugby scrum caps during matches for protection. Face masks only for penalty corners though. Hope this helps.

Logans Mon 18-Sep-17 20:26:35

Ah! Thank you both, that was exactly the sort of info I was after smile. In that case, I will give up on the face mask idea but investigate the Rugby scrum caps.

iseenodust Fri 22-Sep-17 14:20:36

DS age 13 plays hockey for school and a club. I've never seen a child in a scrum cap. Not saying it isn't a reasonable idea but has your DC the personality to be the odd one out? I also wonder if wearing a scrum cap would affect the fit of the face mask they do have to wear for corners?

Maltropp Mon 25-Sep-17 17:49:10

Our club has one kid who plays in a face mask (a short corner one) but only as he had a horrid accident where he was headbutted from below at cricket (two kids trying to catch the ball, kid got in under him then stood up and hit this kid in the chin/jaw) and damaged and destabilised his jaw. He has a letter from the dental hospital explaining why it's nesc which had to be shown to refs/officials at tournaments etc. His mum happens to be a dentist. He hates wearing the mask and takes it off whenever his mum not looking!

Two of my 3 boys are goalies so are always well padded up but other one just wears a gumshield.

Maltropp Mon 25-Sep-17 17:50:17

... I mean penalty corner.

Legrandboucle Sat 21-Oct-17 18:42:48

I would recommend getting a good gum shield. Face masks for corners are usually only worn in higher standard games when players can drag flick a ball. Shin pads are a must and I play with a protective glove on my left hand. It stops your knuckles being shredded on AstroTurf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now