We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Latin club for juniors?

(6 Posts)
Moominmammaatsea Sat 22-Apr-17 20:10:59

I am a Mum of a nine-year-old and I have worked from home since she was a baby but I am currently exploring new opportunities that will continue to allow me to be home-based while earning a crust.

I have a first class degree in Classics and one of the ideas I am considering is setting up a Latin club and / or offering Latin language classes for junior age children. I have worked with children for the past eight years, so the teaching aspect doesn't daunt me, and I am excited by the chance to breathe new life into a language many people consider 'dead'.

As a parent, is this something you would be interested in (hypothetically speaking) for your child? If so, how much would you expect to pay for a weekly 45-minute session?

All opinions gratefully received, even if you tell me to stick to my Plan B of going out cleaning!

nonicknameseemsavailable Sat 22-Apr-17 20:40:38

My Latin teacher used to make us speak Latin not just translate it. I am still amazed I passed as I wasn't very good but it is so useful and people really don't realise just how much. No idea what you should charge, depends on size of group but I do think you will find interested people.

irvineoneohone Sun 23-Apr-17 22:22:02

My ds(9) would definitely be interested if the club was near us!
His favorite video game has lots of Latin words and songs in it.grin

MrsScrubbingbrush Mon 24-Apr-17 09:29:32

In my DDs (11) school some Y6 pupils have been having Latin lessons at a local grammar school once a week. They've really loved it & have produced an end of year play in Latin.

They're hoping to get into the top sets at their high school in September so they can carry on with Latin. They say it's much more (& easier) than the French they've been learning since Y3.

I think your idea is brilliant - go for it!

MrsScrubbingbrush Mon 24-Apr-17 09:46:14

Forgot to say that they used the book Minimus to study from.

mummytime Mon 24-Apr-17 10:17:17

My DD did Latin in primary as a club. They used Minimus.
Apparently in the past it involved them going after school to the Private Girls school, but by the time DD did it the Girls school had stopped, and a group from the Private boys school (teachers and sixth form boys) came after school to run it.
I can't remember what if anything we paid now - DD did enjoy it.
However you can sometimes also get very part time teaching jobs for Latin/Greek as well. And that would even be school hours.
Oh and Home Schoolers can be another good market - I've known a couple of people who taught French to Home Edders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now